Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NR Free to Pro Questions
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:05 am 

Hello,

I've been using NR free for a number of years now, the software has served me very well.
I wanted to thank you all for putting out such a wonderful product, (especially since I found it after LogMeIn crippled Hamachi beyond belief starting in 2010 or so)
I've been considering lately upgrading from free to pro but have a few questions holding me back.

1. If I get (for example) an 8 user license, does that mean only 8 users concurrently or only 8 users existing overall?
2. Can free users connect to my pro server? or, to put it another way, if I have more users than my purchased amount, do new users get disconnected or log in as free/etc?
3. How does licensing/authentication work? (Hypothetically) what if NeoRouter [as a company] goes out of business, or the licensing/authentication servers are down for a period of time? What happens to my server? Can I not use it? can people not sign in? What if I move hardware and can't move the DB over for some reason?
3.1. -> I realize I can use an IP/hostname:port instead of the NR domain, and I currently do that with my free server as it is now. I just wanted to clarify that's not what I'm asking about.

Thanks in advance for the answers!
And thanks again for such a wonderful piece of software.

Post subject: Re: NR Free to Pro Questions
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:17 am 

Hi jwshields,

Thanks for your post. Please take a look at the comments below:

1. If I get (for example) an 8 user license, does that mean only 8 users concurrently or only 8 users existing overall?

8-licenses means a NeoRouter server supports up to 8 registered NR clients (or concurrent connections). But you can reuse those licenses for more computer. For example, if you don't need a computer any more, simply delete it to release the license slot, then you can register a new NR client computer.

2. Can free users connect to my pro server? or, to put it another way, if I have more users than my purchased amount, do new users get disconnected or log in as free/etc?

NR Free clients cannot connect to NR Pro/Mesh server; but NR Pro clients can access to NR Free/Mesh servers. Also NR Pro server doesn't use the same database as NR Free, it means officially you have to rebuild a NR Pro server and re-register NR Pro clients. If you migrate the NR Free database to NR Pro (and with 8-lic applied), the NR clients (after 8th connection) will be rejected when logging in.

3. How does licensing/authentication work? (Hypothetically) what if NeoRouter [as a company] goes out of business, or the licensing/authentication servers are down for a period of time? What happens to my server? Can I not use it? can people not sign in? What if I move hardware and can't move the DB over for some reason?3.1. -> I realize I can use an IP/hostname:port instead of the NR domain, and I currently do that with my free server as it is now. I just wanted to clarify that's not what I'm asking about.

Once you activated a NR Pro server, it can run independtly, even our servers go down. Your NR Pro clients can access to a NR Pro server using IP/InternetDomainName:port isntead of NR domain name. Since all of the information, including license info, are stored in the database file, please back it up just in case.

Let us know if you have any question or concern.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team