Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can’t access client via remote desktop
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:43 am 

NeoRouter Free on Vista Home Premium as the server
Dashboard works with Server Listening Port correct
Dashboard reports port is open (Green) and the NeoRouter Server is active.
NeoRouter Network Explorer displays all 3 computers as online on the Vista Home Premium server.
Actually all machines can be seen from all Network Explorer interfaces.
I can access a virtual test client, XP professional also on the server box, via Remote Desktop.
The other client is also XP professional, but is not on my LAN.
I cannot access this machine from the Vista Home Premium server via Remote Desktop and cannot ping it either. However, I can access the virtual client (on the server box) from the XP professional, outside the LAN and with Remote Desktop.
My main objective is to be able to access the client outside of the LAN, with remote desktop from the Vista Home Premium server end.
I’m figuring that the problem is probably due to the fact that I’m using Vista home Premium as the server? I’m not sure how to set up the alternative, VNC and I don’t have access to make changes to any router port settings on the client there either.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Can’t access client via remote desktop
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:27 am 

Hi sonic,

Assume you have installed Network Explorer on the Vista Home Premium with the nrserver and registered (log on), e.g. in the computer list, you can see your vista home premium.

Vista Home Premium does not enable the term server so that you cannot remote access to it using RDP. (Actually, Vista Home Premium has full term server package, just disabled. Google it, you will see how to enable it ;) )

If you won't like this, you may want to VNC. You can either setup vnc manually or use vnc add-on for NeoRouter downloaded from our add-on page. Then setup the Vista machine as a vnc server, so that you can remote access to it from another computer using the vnc client. When connecting, use the virtual IP address.

Check the Windows Firewall (icmp enable) and the Network Location on your Vista, see if the NeoRouter Connection is set to Private Network ( by default, NeoRouter will set it to private network automatically )

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:13 pm 

Thanks kevinz for your reply.
I can remote desktop to my virtual (XP Pro SP2) machine running on the same vista box running the server, using the Remote Desktop link on the NeoRouter Network Explorer and by using the standard MSTSC link. I would then assume then that I have Remote Desktop enabled? The problem is that I cannot ping or remote to another XP Pro machine outside of my LAN. I have tried both ways, using the Remote Desktop link on the NeoRouter Network Explorer and by using the standard MSTSC link.
As I’m trying to remote out to an OS running XP Pro, then I assume that this should fine? I have also tried this with the Windows firewall turned off and without success. So is the problem to do with my router config? Or, something with the setup on the client outside of my LAN?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:45 am 

Hi sonic,

You can try following:

1.Run Configuration Explorer from your remote computer, see if you can connect to the nr server. If yes, your network has no problem.

2.In the Configuration Explorer, go to tab "Connections", select "Relay mode", click "Apply" button, restart the nrservice (by default it will restart it automatically once you clicked on the "Apply" button)

3.Try to use mstsc to connect to your computer

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team