Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: restrict user access
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:59 pm 

Hi :)

How would I go about restricting user access? I would like to create a user but only allow them access to 1 machine through VNC and nothing else. I have tried deleting the Default user from another machine, deleting all options for Default user for a specific machine and adding the specific user that shouldn't have access to the specific machine then deleting all options but when I start the application and log on as the user I can still access Shared Folders and other options on other machines (including the one that I'm specifically trying to restrict access to). Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Post subject: Re: restrict user access
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:52 am 

I think most of your understanding is correct. The basic idea behind the NeoRouter firewall is that it allows user defines specific services(ports) for a specific user. The "Default User" presents all other users. When the defined user log on, he/she will be granted with the defined services; other users, no matter log on or not, will be grated the same services as the "Default User".

So in your case, you can add a new user A. Select each computer you want to protect. Then define the Firewall.

Default user:
Turn on firewall, remove all services

User A:
Turn on firewall, remove all services but VNC

Save. From now on, the computer provides the VNC service to user A and prevent from anyone else to access to it.

Once you get it done, you can use the virtual IP to test it manually, as some add-ons like shared folder use computer name, which causes it work though other route.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Post subject: Re: restrict user access
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:44 am 

Thanks for the response :) . The settings that you are suggesting seem to work... somewhat... The options for VNC, Remote Desktop, etc... still; appear in the menu for the computer but don't seem to connect. It would be great if the software could also remove and/or grey out the options if the user is not permitted/intended to be able to use these services. Would it be possible to add this option to the software?

I would really like it if the user wasn't able to add a specific computer to their list at all. I have deleted the user and the default user from a specific computer but the user still seems to be able to add the computer to their list and access shares on the computer.

Would it be possible to add an option to restrict which computers can be added to a person's list (or at least which computers are visible to the user through the software)? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intended functionality but I would have thought that deleting the default user and not adding (or deleting) a user to/from a specific computer would prevent them from being able to add that computer to their list in the software.