Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Multiple VPNs?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:02 pm 

This seems obvious, but I haven't seen it asked or answered here.

Is it possible for the client to join several NR VPNs at once? For example, if I'm on site, I'd like to access resources on my company's LAN and also my desktop computer at home.

It's not necessary--or even desirable--to bridge the two locations, but my client should be able to see resources on both without a lot of relogging.

Another use: as a consultant, I have several clients who need quick answers at irregular frequencies. I'd like to maintain (latent) connections to those clients--again, with no bridging--so I can easily hop on their LANs upon request.

Since Hamachi2 does not support Mac, I'm looking for a new cross-platform solution and am quite pleased in what I'm seeing with NR. The product is coming along quite nicely.

--George

Post subject: Re: Multiple VPNs?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:24 am 

Hi George,

Thanks for using NeoRouter.
NR client cannot join multiple virtual networks at the same time. But you can consider the following solutions:
1. you can launch multiple instances of the NR Viewer client on the same computer, each log into a different virtual domain.
2. you can add computers from both locations to the same virtual domain and use ACL to control the connections between them.

In future release we may provide a way for users to define sub-domains. Then you will be able to connect all computers to the same virtual domain while keeping the two locations separate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:15 pm 

Luke:

I get the gist of what you're saying, but I'm still a bit confused. By "NR viewer client" do you mean the NeoRouter Network Explorer? I'm running an instance of Windows 7 and I can't seem to get more than one NR Network Explorer window.

I should explain that my client systems are Macs running Parallels and Windows 7. My company is strictly MS Windows, with every version from Windows 2K onward. The ACL-based approach sounds intriguing, but I've not got an inkling of what that really means in NR terms yet. I have a lot to learn.

Several years ago, when Alex was getting Hamachi started, I donated quite a bit of time doing forum-based support for his company, only to see the current owners apparently abandon Mac and Linux support completely. I'm very interested in NR's cross-platform commitment and its business model for the future. I'm not against paid software, but I am concerned about leaving users behind as the company matures. That's a poor strategy.

It appears to me that NR is a really off to a great beginning. I hope the product continues to mature and--after I learn a bit more about its capabilities--I hope I can make a contribution to the community here.

--George

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:34 am 

Hi George,

By "NR Viewer Client" I meant "NeoRouter Free Portable". Sorry about the confusion.
This portable client does not require installation or tap driver. You can simply download it and run the executable directly. It behaves almost like a full NR client, except that it does not join your current computer into the virtual domain and remote computers cannot access the local computer. This is why we also call it a "viewer" of the virtual domain.
You will be able to run multiple instances of NR portable on the same Win7 machine and each log into a different domain. Here is some more info:
http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... er_For_USB
http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... ettings.3F

More info on ACL can be found here: http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... #Computers

Thanks again for choosing NeoRouter. As you can see, we invested heavily in cross-platform support. Also because users operate his/her own NR server, user controls how to run it, not us.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:04 pm 

Luke:

Great, I'm on it. I'll get back to you when I have digested these topics.

Something to chew on. . .

I'm really happy about the cross-platform support. I still have some issues on the Mac side (I'll post to that forum), but I understand much of this is very new.

Thanks!

--George

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:05 pm 

Just to second what George said...

I was a loyal and avid user of Hamachi UNTIL LogMeIn took over. It seems they are slowly but surely squeezing out the free users with slow / relayed / unreliable connections.

I too am quite willing to pay a reasonable amount for the ability to benefit from someone else's efforts and hope that NR prospers - but does not forget the many users who relied on - and will continue to only want to use - the free version. Please don't ever cut them off!