Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Can not connect with domain name
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:33 pm 

Hi Kevin,

I've tried each and every step listed on this thread, however I am unable to logon using domain name or the external IP address, though I can logon using 127.0.0.1

My network configuration is as follows:

1. I have an ADSL modem that receives a dynamic IP address. I have that taken care of using Dynamic DNS.

2. The ADSL modem connects to a WIFI router (Netgear), this router receives a static internal IP address from the modem: 192.168.1.2

3. The router in turn provides IP addresses in the 192.168.0.XXX series to computers.

I've carefully forwarded the 32976 port at the modem to the wifi router at 192.168.1.2. Next, I've forwarded the port at the wifi router to my Neorouter server at 192.168.0.3

A similiar scheme of port forwardings is working perfectly for me for other applications. I've checked that the port 32976 is visible from outside using the following port test tool:

http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=32976

This gives a success.

However, I am unable to Telnet at this port using my external IP address. Infact, I am unable to Telnet at any other forwarded ports either, though I am able to Telnet using just the external IP address without specifying the port.

The TCPView tool that you have mentioned lists the following when I logon using 127.0.0.1:

Cliservice.exe:384 TCP ABC:4611 LOCALHOST:32976 ESTABLISHED
Connsrv.exe:3196 TCP ABC:32976 LOCALHOST:4611 ESTABLISHED

Kindly guide me.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:48 pm 

Hi fordprefect,

From what you described about your network, I think NeoRouter should have worked for you if the server port opens the listening port to the Internet successfully. We may need your help to figure out where it is stuck.

1. Open the listening port to the Internet

Internet -> ADSL -> Wifi router -> Windows Firewall -> NeoRouter server

We need to make sure each part of the chain above works properly. From what you said, it should work; but I wonder if you can help to double-check Wiki router and Windows Firewall.

a. The link (http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=32976) works, but it does not means Wiki port forwarding works.

b. NeoRouter server will set up Windows Firewall properly, but you may want to double check it just, in case it is changed back by some other software. To verify this, you can try to connect to the server from another computer in the same LAN, then log on to the server's private IP (192.168.0.3) instead of 127.0.0.1.

2. Would you help to test the Windows Remote Desktop using the similar schema of port forwarding? For example: open the port 3389 (RDP) on the 192.168.0.3 to the Internet, then try to connect to the ADSL public IP using mstsc.exe.

3. Check the TCPView on the 192.168.0.3, you should see a line like this:

ConnSrv.exe:1884 TCP ABC:32976 ABC:0 LISTENING

ABC is the computer name.

This means NeoRouter is listening at port 32976 and accept connections from any IP address.

Let us know when you have results.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:48 pm 

Hi KevinZ:

Here are the results:

1. I have double checked the Firewalls, my windows firewall is permanently disabled as I use ZoneAlarm. I have re-checked ZoneAlarm exceptions and also disabled ZoneAlarm while I conducted all attempts to connect. I connected from another laptop using the same Wifi, this time I used 192.168.0.3 and it connected to the server good enough, though as soon as I changed it to domain name / external IP, it stopped responding.

2. I've done the same scheme of forwardings for 3389, however my Remote Desktop Connection using external IP is not accessible, though it works alright if I use the internal IP (192.168.0.3) from another computer.

3. The TCPView shows the following lines:
ConnSrv.exe:2960 TCP abc:32976 localhost:1092 ESTABLISHED
ConnSrv.exe:2960 TCP abc:32976 XYZ:1154 ESTABLISHED

I never see any line containing LISTENING for NeoRouter.

(XYZ is the name of the other computer on the same wifi, which connected to the NeoRouter server when I used the internal IP)

The situation remains the same. I am still unable to figure what the problem is. How do I check for sure if the forwardings are working propertly indeed. I've been using P2P software such as Emule and Utorrent using the same scheme of port forwardings for their respective ports and they don't give me a port error / low ID error.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:16 pm 

Hi fordprefect,

Thanks for your results.

I believe the problem is the listening port 32976 is not opened to the Internet properly.

There would be several issues with it as I know so far.

a. Port forwarding.
Since your Windows Remote Desktop does not work for you using the external IP, there is something wrong with the ADSL modem, which looks like a integration of modem and router actually. As I said before, there are a few devices do not support the feature "media hairpin feature". To prove this, you can try to access the external IP from another computer outside your home LAN, for example: from your office or friend's home. If it works, means it's caused by this issue. If so, you can use domain name outside your home, but at home you have to use private IP, instead of domain name.

b. Router settings.
Would you let us know the model of your ADSL modem, so that we can help to find out the correct settings?

BTW, to see the complete connection list in the TCPView, you may want to choose the menu item "Options->Show Unconnected Endpoints" or press Ctrl+U. Then you can see the listening item. I'm pretty sure you can see that as you can connect to it from other computer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team