Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to use it
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:47 pm 

Please could you explane with more detail how to create a server and use the program to control other PCs! I have installed the program just like shown here http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... erverSetup I have enabled UPnP and add The NeoRouter server listens at TCP port 32976. I have opened the program and tried to log in but nothing happened. Please help me!

Post subject: Re: How to use it
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:53 am 

Hi tinaina,

Thanks for using NeoRouter.

If you choose "NeoRouter server" option, it will install both server and client software on the same machine. When installing, if will ask you for several important information: "Domain Name", "Domain Password", "User Name" and "User Password". After installing it, the server and client services will be running automatically. Now you can try to use "NeoRouter Configuration Explorer" to check your current settings with "User Name", "User Password" and "Domain Name". The domain name is parsed by our domain server. If you either open your 32976 port on public or enabled UPnP on your home router, you can log in successfully. If not, you can put your local IP(like 127.0.0.1) in the "Log on to" field in the NeoRouter Configuration Explorer for testing. If you can use your IP to log in, you can reset/create domain information in the Settings page. If not, please open the Task Manager to check if there is a process (service) called "ConnSrv.exe" running. If it's not running, you can reboot your computer, it will start automatically.

If you can connect to server using "Configuration Explorer", you can start the "NeoRouter Network Explorer" and log in. Then you can add your computer the computer list.

Generally, you don't need to install server more than one in your network. Once you setup a server, you may choose "Network Explorer" option when you install it on other computers. Or you can simply run the portable version from anywhere.

Let me know if any problem.

thanks,
NeoRouter Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:50 am 

tinaina,

Thanks for your interests in NeoRouter. And thank you for posting the very first question here.

Were you able to log in the Network Explorer successfully?
If yes, you probably are seeing an empty "My computers" list. Please follow the instructions here to manage the computer list.
http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... puter_list
If log in failed, please let me know if you see an error dialog.

Then you can try installing the NeoRouter client software on another PC that you would like to join the VLAN. After installation, please log in Network Explorer there, and you should be able to see the same computer list as before. Click on a computer in the computer list, choose an action like "Remote Access".
http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... ote_access

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks!
Dragonfly
the NeoRouter Team

PS. I apologize for the lack of documentation and good instructions. We are working on it! I also would like to encourage you to help us improve our wiki. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:54 pm 

Thanks a lot for your quick answers! I did as you said, and I have put my IP address from here http://whatismyip.com/ on the Log on to place, but nothing happened. Do you have other suggestions? Could you please explain exactly how to do this (The domain name is parsed by our domain server. If you either open your 32976 port on public or enabled UPnP on your home router, you can log in successfully), you could use pictures and also apply them on the web site.
I will tell you what I did. I have add port 32976 TCP at Windows firewall/Exeptions. And for UPnP I have opened the Windows Firewall.
On the General tab, I have clicked On, then clicked the Exceptions tab.
I have selected the UPnP framework check box, and then I clicked OK.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:27 pm 

Please help test the following scenarios:
1. On the computer where you have installed the NeoRouter Server, please launch the NeoRouter Network Explorer, enter "localhost" in the "log on to" box, click sign in.
If signin fails (does nothing), it's likely that the NeoRouter server is not started. You can verify this in the Windows NT Services console. The NT Services console is located at %windir%\system32\services.msc. In the console, please locate "NeoRouter Connection Server" and ensure it is started.

2. If the "NeoRouter Connection Server" has started and you still cannot log into localhost, please help get the log file.
a) create a new file "%CommonProgramFiles\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Log.ini" with the following content:
[Default]
Mask=4294967295
Type=1
b) launch NetworkExplorer, repeat your steps to reproduce the failure.
c) locate the log file "%CommonProgramFiles\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\ClientUI_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.log" and "CliService_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.log".
d) you can email these log files to support@neorouter.com.

3. If you are able to log into localhost, but fail to log into the server from another client PC, please try:
a) can you ping the server or its gateway from the client?
b) How about telnet to server:32976?
How is your network configuration? Is the client behind the same gateway as server?
Can you get the log files on the client computer using the same steps shown above?

With regard to your question about how the domain name is parsed, we provide a service similar to dynamic DNS. The NeoRouter server publishes its public IP address to our server, and when you try to log into the NeoRouter client, client will attempt to parse the string entered in the "log on to" box using our "DDNS" server. The only difference between our "DDNS" server and sites like http://www.dyndns.com is that we use the "Domain" you entered when setting up the NeoRouter server instead of a fully qualified domain name. http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... Setup2.JPG
This feature is optional and can be enabled/disabled in the Configuration Explorer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:23 am 

For step 1 - Neo Router Client Service and Neo Router Connection Server are running and when I try to connect in the NeoRouter Network Explorer, I have entered "localhost" in the "log on to" box and the following message has appear.(Can not sign it right now. Please contact your administrator. hr=0x80820102)

Step 2/ How exactly to make the new .ini file?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:14 am 

The error hr=0x80820102 indicates that you have entered wrong username or password. Please enter the same username/password you used in following dialog during setup:
http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... Setup3.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:17 pm 

Thanks a lot! Now everything is ok. I can not log on in Neo Router Network Explorer and Neo Router Configuration Explorer neither with my domain name= ''Tinaina'' nor with my IP, but with using ''localhost'' to log on. Is that a problem? Now I want my husband's parents and my parents to install the Neo Router Network Explorer, so I could remote control their PCs, but now some questions appears.
Should they use ''localhost'' to log on to, is it going to work? Should they also check UPnP and open TCP port 32976 for remote client connections? Should the username password be the same as the domain password? The Neo Router Configuration Explorer should be always running in order the users to connect to each other. It serves as a server, right?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:04 pm 

It seems UPnP does not work properly.
Did you by chance to have setup the NeoRouter server on two computers at home? If so, please uninstall on one computer and re-install the NeoRouter client on it. Please also restart the other computer that still have the NeoRouter server. Then try to log in with your domain name or your public ip again. Within your home network, you can setup only one server and multiple clients.

If the above method does not fix the issue, please setup port forward on your residential router and forward port 32976 to the computer with NeoRouter server. If you have an older residential router, sometimes UPnP does not work reliably.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:32 am 

I have installed the Neo Router server only in one computer. Now I will try to install the NeoRouter client on my other PC and try to see what will happened.
If this helps in Neo Router server General configuration is shown:
Sumarry
Version: 0.9.3.717
Domain: localhost:32976
Network status:
Address: localhost
Port: 32976