Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to reclaim domain names?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:42 pm 

Hi NeoRouter,

Is it possible to reclaim or reset domain names that were previously set-up? I have become detached from domains I know that I registered previously and would now like to reuse.

When I attempt to reuse it via the "Rename Domain..." button (on a new Windows server installation - my old PC just "died") I get the following message.

"The domain name has been registered"

I assume that this must be stored on a central server somewhere as I can't find any evidence on my PCs.

Thanks. This is very good software and I look forward to the "Pro" edition.

Cheers, Twincam.

Post subject: Re: How to reclaim domain names?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:56 pm 

Hi Twincam,

Thanks for your inputs. So far the only way to do this is you may want to uninstall the server and reinstall it again. If you are using Windows version, please choose "Yes" when the uninstaller asks you for removing related files, so that the install wizard will ask you for a domain name when you can use an existing domain name.

"Rename domain" won't work for this purpose.

I think we will add this functionality soon.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter Team

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:58 am 

Hi KevinZ,

Thanks for the rapid reply. I tried that (maybe 2 or 3 times) but it didn't work. Here's the steps I performed (it may help the Developers):

- Server was installed on a Virtual Machine (for testing) and running fine. I discovered and used the "Rename Domain..." there - successfully - but independently of this server relocation operation (I think I set eveything back before I progressed but I probably used a different domain password during these steps).

- The new server (a Physical Machine) already had the client installed and the server did not work when I first installed it and tried to attach to the original domain. I uninstalled "everything" (via "Add/Remove Programs") and tried again. I could not attach to the first domain so I created another one. During my first attempt at this, I cancelled the installation at the domain selection screen and that left the installation partially installed. I realised this when my second attempt skipped past this screen so I uninstalled completely again. (It might be a useful option to warn Users or even prevent the installation of the server if the client is already installed on the target).

- After succesfully re-installing (and choosing a new domain name) everything worked but I noticed that both domain names were listed in the "Configuration Explorer" (the one I wanted to use on the "General" tab and the new one on the "Settings" tab).

- I tries to "Rename Domain" and that issued the same message so I uninstalled and starteded the procedure again with the same results. Then I realised (I think!) what was happening and decided to send my message to you. Everything is now working for me (and the same domain name is shown in both places in the "Configuration Explorer").

This might help someone because, to me, it wasn't obvious. I would guess that "NeoRouter" must maintain a central database of registered domain names - otherwise people could choose the same ones!

The product is fantastic and, because I use realVNC on all machines (as a "Service"), as soon as "NeoRouter" is running, I am able to use that without any "Add-ons". VNC seems to automatically make the 8.0.0.x network available - cool!

I look forward to an option to maintain registered domain names in future releases. Thanks!

Cheers, Twincam.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:59 am 

Hi Twincam,

NeoRouter domain name is unique and we maintain a domain information and provide the domain service. Users can rename it to another new or unique name. Generally, there is only one neorouter server running behind a NAT.

So in your case, you registered a domain name, for example: AAA. Now, you want to reuse it after testing. Please follow the steps below.

0. Suppose you setup a server behind a NAT and make portforwarding

Internet <-----> Home Router <------> PC (installed server)
portforwarding tcp/32976 192.168.1.x

1. Uninstall the server you have installed.
Go to "Add/Remove Programs", choose "NeoRouter". At the end, it asked you if want to delete all related files generated by NeoRouter. Choose "Yes". These files are actually located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter

The files include configuration files and a database, which contains Domain information as well.

So, as you know, if you don't delete these files, the installer will reuse the previous domain information.

2. Install it again by running the installer
When setting domain information, please choose to use an "Existing Domain Name" instead of "Create a new". Then input the domain name "AAA" and password for it.

3. Now it should be working.

NOTE: if you changed port for your first domain name before, e.g. you changed 32976 to another port for "AAA", it will change back to 32976 after installation, so you have to change port again.

"Rename Domain" is used for different purpose. For example, if you don't like "AAA", you can use the function to change the name to "BBB". After the operation, the "AAA" will not exist and can be used by anyone else. Of cause, if "BBB" is existing already, you cannot use "BBB" neither and you may get the error message "The domain name has been registered" .

BTW, since you want to install the server to a new PC instead of the VM, you may want to change the portforwarding and uninstall the server on the VM.

Let me know if you still have problem. If you want to get your domain information, simply send an email to support@neorouter.com with the domain name, we will send the information back to you.

thanks,
kevinz - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:25 am 

What if during some testing, domain names were used, and passwords then forgotten?... - I set up a few different domains when I was first trying out the software, and I used one that I would now like to use permenantly.. BUT i dont know thw password anymore! Deleting those files wont fix this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:01 am 

Hi Psy-Clone,

You can send a request with domain name to the support@neorouter.com. If you set the email address when you create the domain, we will send the your password to the email address. Or you may not be able to get it so far.

You may get the password by email from our website soon.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter Team