Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bridging
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 pm 

Based on what we want to do I think we need to set up point-to-site VPN via bridging as described in the manual (5.3.4), but I'm a bit confused because the scenario described is quite a bit different from our own situation. Please help.

We currently run a Sonicwall VPN to support up to 15 remote users on the corporate LAN. We would like to have an alternative, and therefore inexpensive, software-only VPN for use when Sonicwall is otherwise down. In our current VPN setup, the only difference between working locally and working remotely is whether or not the Sonicwall connection is active. That is, when a user plugs their laptop in at a local desk, everything like Outlook 'just works' and then when they take it remote they fire up Sonicwall and everything like Outlook 'just works'. (Outlook runs against our own Exchange Server). We don't need to make any configuration changes to any applications (Outlook/Exchange, Apps/SQLServer, RDP/Terminal Server, drive/printer mapping, etc.) because the laptop is 'on the network' whether plugged in locally or running remotely via Sonicwall.

I suspect that we can get what we want if we set up bridging on the domain controller where we have the NeoRouter server installed. However, the documentation refers to what looks like network segmentation (address range for computers and printers, address range for NeoRouter DHCP, range of prohibited addresses) and we're not interested in that. We have no prohibited addresses and we don't need (or want) NeoRouter to have anything to do with address assignment.

Our initial testing shows the promise of NeoRouter as our backup VPN and the cost of a commercial license is certainly easy to live with!