Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [SOLVED] Unable to SSH/VNC/ping etc using NRouter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:12 pm 

I'm a current user of Hamachi but trying to swap over to NeoRouter.

My problem: After setting up server and clients, I am able to see all devices in my NeoRouter Network Explorer but I can't ping/ssh/VNC/etc.

These services work over local network, over Hamachi, but I can't get them working through NeoRouter (ie using 10.0.0.x addresses per default).

My setup:
NRServer & NRClient/NRService running on Ubuntu x64.
NRClient running on Win7 laptop
NRClient running on Android devices

I remember needing to do some TUN modifications when setting up Hamachi a couple years back... is there anything similar for NR?

Also, I ran Ifconfig on server box before and after a restart. Before restart there was no nrtap listed & after nrserver reinstall w/ reboot the nrtap was present.

What should I do next for troubleshooting? I haven't been able to find answers via the normal means of FAQ/forums/RTFM thus far :)

Last edited by phaedrus54 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Unable to SSH/VNC/ping etc using NRouter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:46 am 

Hi phaedrus54,

Thanks for trying NeoRouter.

From your description, I can assume that you have NR clients/server installed properly and the issue would be related to firewall setting, virtual adapter, routing and so on.

Please double check this:

1.run "ipconfig" see if you can see the NeoRouter Virtual Network Adapter and a virtual IP (10.0.0.x by default) should be assigned to it after logging in.

2.double-check your OS firewall setting see if you block icmp echo or other services on the NR virtual network adapter

3.if you can install wireshark or similar tool on your computer, please capture the packets on the NR virtual adapter. While ping, you should see icmp packets go through the adapter. If not, your route table may have problem.

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Post subject: [SOLVED] Re: Unable to SSH/VNC/ping etc using NRouter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 pm 

Thank you for the quick reply. You guys are great at customer service... even for regular community members rather than paid customers.

It's working :).

Conclusion: I must have incorrectly installed server if it didn't create the virtual network device the first time around...

Process:

I re-installed the nrserver, apt-get updated/upgraded, and rebooted server.

Then today, after reading your post, I was ssh'ing over to install wireshark on server when I realized that my ssh host was resolved using the 10.0.0.x mapping... =D

I'm very excited to use NeoRouter with my laptop, Android tablets, phone, etc to tunnel traffic over VPN when I need to work at open wifi spots.

Keep up the good work.

Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] Unable to SSH/VNC/ping etc using NRouter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:19 am 

Hello,
Just a follow up on this issue. My problem is almost similar to this, however the problem only arises at a certain time of the day. At the beginning of the day let say at around 9AM everything is normal. I can see all the clients that are connected, and I can ssh, ping vnc, etc. to all of them. I checked the pfsense, router/firewall, and all clients connections has a state status of "ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED". However mostly at night, sometimes around at around midnight, or even at around 10 PM, even if the clients are still connected, I can not ping, ssh, vnc, etc. When I checked the pfsense firewall, the state is either "ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED" or "TIME_WAIT:TIME_WAIT", and even when the state becomes ""ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED", still I can not ping, ssh, vnc, etc. I restarted the pfsense, the nrserver, and still nothing happens. I leave the issue till the next morning, restarted my computer that I use to connect to the nrserver and voila everything is working perfectly. This happens everyday of the week, that the problem arises at night.
Also when this problem is ongoing, even logging in to the server using the Conguration Explorer, I can not login even if the client I am using is in the same local network.
FYI, two clients that I am using are connected on the same local network as the nrserver. NRserver is on Centos7.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 am 

johnny2000 wrote:
Hello,
Just a follow up on this issue. My problem is almost similar to this, however the problem only arises at a certain time of the day. At the beginning of the day let say at around 9AM everything is normal. I can see all the clients that are connected, and I can ssh, ping vnc, etc. to all of them. I checked the pfsense, router/firewall, and all clients connections has a state status of "ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED". However mostly at night, sometimes around at around midnight, or even at around 10 PM, even if the clients are still connected, I can not ping, ssh, vnc, etc. When I checked the pfsense firewall, the state is either "ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED" or "TIME_WAIT:TIME_WAIT", and even when the state becomes ""ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED", still I can not ping, ssh, vnc, etc. I restarted the pfsense, the nrserver, and still nothing happens. I leave the issue till the next morning, restarted my computer that I use to connect to the nrserver and voila everything is working perfectly. This happens everyday of the week, that the problem arises at night.
Also when this problem is ongoing, even logging in to the server using the Conguration Explorer, I can not login even if the client I am using is in the same local network.
FYI, two clients that I am using are connected on the same local network as the nrserver. NRserver is on Centos7.

This morning at 8:25 Oct. 23, 2017, I have 4 linux clients, out of the 4 linux clients only 1 I can ping, ssh even though all of the 4 are connected to the nrserver. I checked each one of them and all of them have the virtual ip addresses, nrtap, supplied by the nrserver. However all of the windows clients have no issues at all. I restarted the nrserver, the linux clients, and still the same issue.

Anyone can help on this issues. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:24 pm 

johnny2000 wrote:
johnny2000 wrote:
Hello,
FYI, two clients that I am using are connected on the same local network as the nrserver. NRserver is on Centos7, dual core 2x cpu xeon processors and connected to a fiber 150/150 internet connection.

This morning at 8:25 Oct. 23, 2017, I have 4 linux clients, out of the 4 linux clients only 1 I can ping, ssh even though all of the 4 are connected to the nrserver. I checked each one of them and all of them have the virtual ip addresses, nrtap, supplied by the nrserver. However all of the windows clients have no issues at all. I restarted the nrserver, the linux clients, and still the same issue.

Anyone can help on this issues. Thank you.

Update:
I made an observation and I think this is what is happening during the night but I am not sure if this is the reason. At night I have 20 additional windows clients that logs in with the neorouter, as soon as the 20 windows logs in, that would result to a total of 27 windows clients, and 6 linux clients, I can't vnc, ssh, ping, anymore with any of the clients. Some of the linux clients suddenly goes offline. However even though all the windows clients are online but I can not vcn, ping to any of the clients anymore.
Is this some kind of a limitation with the Free version?
Anyone following this tread who can give me a hand on how to troubleshoot and find what is causing the problem? Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am 

Hi johnny2000,

Thanks for your information. I don't think it's a limitation to the NR Free edition and your NR clients are very small set.

If you can collect the log file of one of the Linux boxes that having the issue and send it to us (support email address) , we can help you investigate it.

Since it happens sometimes, it's more like related to the environment, such as network or machine. If you can isolate 2 of the Linux boxes and connect them to another NR Free server (for testing), it can at least determine if the issue is coming from the NR client local box or from other NR clients.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:20 am 

kevinz wrote:
Hi johnny2000,

Thanks for your information. I don't think it's a limitation to the NR Free edition and your NR clients are very small set.

If you can collect the log file of one of the Linux boxes that having the issue and send it to us (support email address) , we can help you investigate it.

Since it happens sometimes, it's more like related to the environment, such as network or machine. If you can isolate 2 of the Linux boxes and connect them to another NR Free server (for testing), it can at least determine if the issue is coming from the NR client local box or from other NR clients.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

I will do it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 pm 

I haven't got the chance to create a log file from the clients, but here it is a log file from the neorouter server. Right now it is not only the linux clients that I am having problem with but also windows 10. I can see all of the windows connected to the neorouter server but I can not ping them, I can not log in through VNC either.

Attachments:
nrserver_20171228_201344.log [815.95 KiB]
Downloaded 1969 times

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:06 pm 

johnny2000 wrote:
I haven't got the chance to create a log file from the clients, but here it is a log file from the neorouter server. Right now it is not only the linux clients that I am having problem with but also windows 10. I can see all of the windows connected to the neorouter server but I can not ping them, I can not log in through VNC either.

I don't know what to look for, but these are suspicious:

Quote:
SendMsg failed to acquire Send lock.

Are you running a straight linux install on hardware itself, or in a VM? If a VM, what is the host running?

Have you done any modifications to sysctl.conf to increase default connection limits and what not? If you have a lot of connections, linux may not have the best defaults and running out of memory.

Lastly, make sure the firewall has port 32976 open.

Lastly, do some testing with clients that don't have Hamachi installed, as Hamachi regularly breaks the routing tables in Windows.