Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Windows 10 (version 1903)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:34 am 

I am currently on the Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Ring and am working with Windows Version 1903 (currently I on build # 18362.53)

My connection to my NeoRouter Free Server over the last few months has been marred with inconsistencies and issues.

So far, I have tried these previous "hotfixes" as suggested by other users:

1. Changing the media status of the Neorouter Network Adapter to "Always Connected" from "Application Controlled"
2. Changing the DHCP allocation range to that of "10.1.0.0/255.255.255.0" from "10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0"

In my eyes, it appears that newer builds of Windows 10 breaks the interaction of the NRClient.exe with the actual Neorouter Network adapter which may require codefixes within the Neorouter client or a change within the driver for the Neorouter Network adapter.

Issues that I have noticed (may or may not have been noticed by others before):

1. This issue still manifests itself after a reboot of the machine where the client connected properly (after initial install)
2. The TCP/IPv4 Properties for the Neorouter adapter are set to use a specific address/DNS server combination (Manually set) however, no IP address details are actually entered into the fields
3. The Neorouter Network adapter will still report "network cable unplugged" if Media state is set to "Application Controlled"

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 (version 1903)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:49 am 

UPDATE: Got the Neorouter client to work again by having the following conditions set:

1. DHCP range set back to "10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0"
2. Media Status of the Neorouter Network Adapter set to "Always Connected"
3. Changed Compatibility of the Neorouter Client in Windows 10 set to "Windows 8"

However, this created the issue of some clients showing in the Windows 10 client as being offline when those clients are actually confirmed to be connected.

Attachment:
weird.png
weird.png [ 47.63 KiB | Viewed 20414 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 am 

What was your reasoning behind changing the DHCP allocation range? What were you trying to accomplish?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:41 am 

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing .

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 pm 

Breezewood wrote:
UPDATE: Got the Neorouter client to work again by having the following conditions set:

1. DHCP range set back to "10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0"
2. Media Status of the Neorouter Network Adapter set to "Always Connected"
3. Changed Compatibility of the Neorouter Client in Windows 10 set to "Windows 8"

However, this created the issue of some clients showing in the Windows 10 client as being offline when those clients are actually confirmed to be connected.

Attachment:
weird.png

"Media Status of the Neorouter Network Adapter set to "Always Connected""

This has been a known issue for a couple of Windows 10 builds and was posted on the forum in the past. You shouldn't have to mess with DHCP range or anything else. If the forum wasn't basically abandoned and getting daily spam, then they should have made a sticky topic so that people would just know about this workaround and not have to discover that setting on their own.

The free versions haven't received any updates in almost 3 years. And the last free version they released was missing a number of bug fixes that were mentioned in the release notes. The free version still uses old, broken SSLv3! And Neorouter is happy to leave free versions on this encryption... *sigh*

They are only doing updates for Pro versions. If you're only using the free version and do not need to support Win XP machines, you may want to migrate to something else still getting updates as there will only ever be more and more bugs since no more updates to free.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:52 pm 

What was your thinking behind changing the DHCP assignment run? What were you attempting to achieve?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:05 am 

This is my first time visiting here. I found so much entertaining in your site, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I'm not the only one who has plenty of time here! Keep up the good work. I was planning to write something like this on my website and you gave me an idea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:57 am 

I had the same issue on the later versions of Windows as well, not only version 1903. Good thing is that your solution worked on new updates as well, so yeah, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:46 am 

Thanks for sharing this great post.