Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Seeking ideas and suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:17 pm 

Greetings everyone...

I've successfully set up NeoRouter Free on a friend's XP machine, found it accessible via my Android tablet. Woo-hoo! :-)

On to step two, hence this post. My needs are really quite simple, just to upload and download the occasional file to his machine. So my question to the forum is, what would you suggest for a file server on the XP platform that will work hand in hand with NeoRouter?

I was considering CoreFTP (the free version, of course); not sure if I want to tackle OpenSSH due to the complexities, since I'm definitely not a network guru. :oops:

I also looked at SilverSHielD but it appears to be lacking documentation.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas...

Regards,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Seeking ideas and suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 pm 

Hi ChrisW,

If you mean access the shared files on your winxp from PCs, there are a lot options. Ftp would be the best choice.

However if you want to upload/download files from an Android tablet, I would suggest this:

1.Use sshd server + sftp client for Android, for example: freesshd server, which is free.

2.Use NeoRouter Free WebApp, which has the built-in sftp tool allowing you to upload/download files to/from a sshd server, like freesshd on windows. You may want to install a Chrome browser on your Android tablet and run the web app from there.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:51 pm 

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. The Android (client) side isn't the issue here, since there are plenty of apps that can do SFTP, FTPS, etc. What I was looking for was a simple solution on the XP side.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:57 pm 

Kevin,

Since you're part of the NeoRouter team, perhaps you can answer a question for me. I know that at some point, I'll have to specify an IP address in the file server's setup. Would I specify neorouter's 10.0.0.2 address, or the machine's internal IP (like 192.168.0.1), or ?? Again, I'm not a networking guru, so it's a learn-as-you-go situation for me.

Thanks...
chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:33 am 

Hi Chris,

Please take a look at this http://www.neorouter.com/android/quickstart.html

By default, NR for Android already setup the dynamic port forward of the port 22/tcp (ssh) for you. What you need to do is follow the sample and run your sftp client, then connect to localhost:32973 , instead of virtual IP nor private IP of the remote computer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team