Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unable to see server computer when running Network Explorer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 am 

When I run Network Explorer and properly login to the server (I've tried using the public IP as well as the domain name I created during install) I only see my client computer on the list and the option to add computer is grayed out.

I have setup the server at my work location (where I have control of the router) and have set port forwarding of 32976 for the local IP of the computer I'm trying to get access to. When I run config explorer on the server and login, the click on Computers, I only see the remote computer, not the server.

From the remote computer (the one running the client), I click on Help/Troubleshooting/Check Server Status and the IP for the server is incorrect (not sure how that's happening - it appears that the domain I created is being mapped to a non-existing IP). If I manually enter the correct public IP of the server, it verifies that the connection is good. As I stated previously, even if I login to the public IP of the server instead of the domain, the problem is the same.

Post subject: Re: Unable to see server computer when running Network Explorer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 am 

hi dmjw,

Thanks for using NeoRouter.
Did you install NeoRouter client on the server computer and log into the same NR domain? That will register the server computer to your NR domain and allow it to show up in the computer list.
The computer list in Network Explorer has two modes. In full (default) mode, all computers in your domain will show up in the computer list under one category and add computer option is grayed out. You can switch to Personalized mode in the Computers menu, then you can manage your own view of the computer list.
Please let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:11 pm 

Thanks - that did the trick (installing the client on the server). Since the server will never need to access other machines, I figured the client never needed to be installed on the server. It seems like the server can never act as one unless the client portion is also installed, and if that's the case, why would there even be an option to not install the client on the server?

Since the server will never really act as a client (remotely accessing resources on another computer), is there a way to prevent other computers from appearing on the network explorer list (other than using personalized view, which still allows the users to add back the missing computers)? I tried using config explorer (and network explorer) to remove the other computers from the list and they reappear when network explorer is re-run.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:08 pm 

Hi dmjw,

With NR Pro/Mesh, you can setup ACL for NR users. When you choose permission "Block ALL" for a computer, other users cannot see the computer in the list anymore.

With NR Free, you cannot physically hide a computer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:42 pm 

I am having a similar problem.
I have installed NR Free on two Win 7 machines. The server checks out ok using the Check Status tool.

The remote client has logged onto the network fine and it shows in the list of computers.

The server's client would not log in using default settings (I guess maybe to my router not liking hairpinning) so I tried a couple of things. In the main client connection dialog, I pointed it to itself (127.0.0.1) instead of using the domain name. That got connected but I could only see the remote client in the computers list still.

I tried changing the connection options / server local address and directed the client to 127.0.0.1 there. Then tried the domain name in the main connection dialog. That would not connect at all...

Also I note that the windows virtual adapter shows disconnected even when I have got the network explorer connected to 127.0.0.1

Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions very welcome :)
So ready to get off horrible slow Hamachi and so nearly there I hope.

Many thanks
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:14 pm 

Oops
Problem solved and it was daft!
Before starting, I mistakenly downloaded the portable client and started it up. It looks like the classic client could replace it during the install.
I used the config explorer and spotted that the server was running the portable client. I restarted, deleted the portable client, reinstalled the client from the installed package and tried again.
Now all works fine (though I still have to avoid the hairpin)