Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NR Server-is WAN IP/domain DNS updated?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:49 pm 

Ho there
Long time Hamachi user-looking to see what NR can give me over Hamachi (which I pay for). Struggled to get it installed at first (Windows server, 2 clients- Openwrt 703 and a Raspberry Pi) but got there. Question-when I log into the server, using localhost or the WAN IP of my "main" router, I get in first time.Its the same with the clients-if I use the WAN IP, they log in straight away.However, when I use the domain name, especially after I reboot the main router (which always means the WAN IP from my ISP changes), the server (and clients) fail to login.Going back to the "new" WAN IP works. So I guess there are some DNS propagation problems? Could someone from NR explain to me how it works?
I'm quite happy to set up a DynDNS service , if this is neccessary

thanks

cabs

Post subject: Re: NR Server-is WAN IP/domain DNS updated?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:47 pm 

Hi cabsandy,

Yes, but NR server updates once an hour. So a DynDNS service is a good choice, since your ISP keep changing the public IP.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:26 pm 

kevinz wrote:
Hi cabsandy,

Yes, but NR server updates once an hour. So a DynDNS service is a good choice, since your ISP keep changing the public IP.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Kevin
Thanks for the answer-however, I waited for about 4 hours, and looking at my Dashboard, the WAN IP that was there was still the old one-and only localhost/IP address would let me log in.
As soon as I manually updated the Dashboard, and used the domain name from my server, it worked.Like I said, not got a problem with a DynDNS like service but could you elaborate on how the server (is it the server machine?) "talks" back once an hour to update the domain name, against any changes in the IP delivered by the user's ISP?

thanks

cabs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:28 pm 

Hi cabsandy,

Assume you use and setup NeoRouter domain name properly to your NR server. ( go to NR Configuration Explorer or NR web console to verify if your NR server has a NR domain name associated, if not, set it up)

NR server will call our back end server to sync up its public IP, associated with the NR domain name and the listening port number. It calls every time NR server starts and once an hour when a timer is timeout. So please make sure your computer (on that NR server is running) has access to our Dashboard website.

To verify this, you can manually restart NR server service; it may take couple of minutes for it to update its public IP address and you can see it in the Dashboard. (You may setup a wrong IP in Dashboard before testing.)

Once NR server updates the public IP, NR client may take a sometime to detect the changes and automatically reconnect to the server at new IP address.

If your server does not update the IP address after NR server service restarts, there would be something wrong and need to investigate it.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:17 am 

kevinz wrote:
Hi cabsandy,

Assume you use and setup NeoRouter domain name properly to your NR server. ( go to NR Configuration Explorer or NR web console to verify if your NR server has a NR domain name associated, if not, set it up)

NR server will call our back end server to sync up its public IP, associated with the NR domain name and the listening port number. It calls every time NR server starts and once an hour when a timer is timeout. So please make sure your computer (on that NR server is running) has access to our Dashboard website.

To verify this, you can manually restart NR server service; it may take couple of minutes for it to update its public IP address and you can see it in the Dashboard. (You may setup a wrong IP in Dashboard before testing.)

Once NR server updates the public IP, NR client may take a sometime to detect the changes and automatically reconnect to the server at new IP address.

If your server does not update the IP address after NR server service restarts, there would be something wrong and need to investigate it.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Kevin-works exactly as you explained so thank you for that.I suppose that 1 hour timeframe is set, you dont/wont allow servers to update quicker?
One last question-in the free version, can you segment devices into different networks (so multiple star networks-one controlling device that can talk to all, but none of the the other devices can speak to each other)?
So like having multiple VLAN's-or is that in the Pro version :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:05 pm 

Hi cabsandy,

I'm afraid that it requires the Pro feature - built-in firewall/ACL rules.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team