Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NR Pro in Multi-User Configuration / No Network Explorer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:14 pm 

We are trialing the NeoRouter Pro and think it's got great features and performance so far, bravo!

I have a question about a multi-user environment. We have seven machines with seven different users and would like:

a. One "super" user to be able to RDP to any of the seven machines to provide assistance, also from an eighth machine at home.

b. Three other users who should be able to RDP to their own machine and one other machine (a compute server).

I'm confused by the Neorouter Windows Client software, mainly the Network Explorer. It looks like it has a single user login, but my understanding from reading documentation is that it is a GUI / helper app, and that then meat of the client is on a Windows service, the NRService.

1. On most machines, I don't really want to have the Network Explorer ever come up - it confuses users and they don't have access to any machine but their own. But it seems like I need to log in at least once with the super-user account so that the machine's NRService knows about my neorouter domain.

Is that correct?

Also,

2. Is there a way to not have Network Explorer come up on reboot, either windowed or in the system tray? Once NE is logged out and rebooted, the super-user can still see the machines and RDP there. This is even when the system tray icon for the NE is gone after exit.

3. Related to #1, when I first set up a machine, is there a way to register the NRService with the neorouter domain without ever logging in?

Hope these questions make sense. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: NR Pro in Multi-User Configuration / No Network Explorer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:13 am 

Hi naia,

Your case is a pretty common usage. Basically you may want to configure NR built-in fire wall / ACL rules in either NR Configuration Explorer or NR Web Console to implement (a) and (b) you mentioned.

Here is an example:

Quote:
For example, you have:

1.Users: user1, user2, admin (when nobody sign in to NR, it runs under "Everyone" user)
2.Computers: pc1, pc2, pc3, pc4
3. Subnets: subnet1(pc1, pc2) , subnet2 (pc3, pc4)
Generally, subnet1 and subnet2 are isolated each other, user1 wants to access subnet1, user2 want to access subnet2, however the admin user may want to access all computers cross the subnets.

So need to setup the ACL rules in the Configuration Explorer for each computer:

1. pc1
Everyone: Block All
User1: Firewall On (or off)
admin: Firewall Off

2. pc2
User1: Firewall On (or off)

3. pc3
User2: Firewall On (or off)

4. pc4
User2: Firewall On (or off)

When user1 signed into the NR network from anywhere, he can only see the PC1 and PC2. When he signed out, the NR service is running as "Everyone" user, that has "Block All" permission to those PCs, meaning one cannot access the PCS, nor even ping them. Similar to user2.

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes. You may want to sign in/register at least once to NR server on a new computer, so that the NR client service can cache the server's information. Later on, the service will automatically connect to the server without logging into NE.

2. For users to remotely access those computers, yes, no need to sign in NE on the remote computer, the NR client service can handle everything. For example, user1 want to access his PC (NR client) from his home using laptop, on his PC, no need to sign in NE, but the NR client service is running. User1 needs to sign in from NE from his laptop using NR account so that he gets permission to see his PC. The idea is similar to Windows domain, where a domain user can remote access a computer when he sign in to a Windows and gets granted proper permission.

3. Yes. You can use nrclientcmd tool to register a new computer

Quote:
For example:
nrclientcmd [-d DOMAIN] [-u USERNAME] [-p PASSWORD] [-register]

For more info, please run nrclientcmd /?

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:32 am 

Thank you Kevin!

Last question, I see the Network Explorer / NR Icon pop up each time a machine boots up.

What is the way I can tell Network Explorer to not start up each time?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:09 pm 

Hi naia,

Did you check the option "Start when I log on to Windows" in NE sign in page? Just check it off to disable it. By default, NE won't automatically start.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:17 pm 

Thanks, Kevin. Yes, although for users who had already checked that box, we had to go into

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

and delete it there too.

With the nrclientcmd -register using a "guest" account with zero access this works great now!