Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Connection to server cannot be established.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:48 pm 

Have used Hamachi, Cisco, VPNs for years and tested NeoRouter a few times previously. Now am trying to build a new NeoRouter Free domain on two Win 7 machines on same LAN. If successful, will switch to NeoRouter. Have no objection at all to paying for a paid version.

I installed server and client on one machine, and only the client on another machine. Installation seemed sketchy--no mention at all of having successfully set up the "first administrative user". Checked Services, see NeoRouter Client Service and NeoRouter Connection Manager on one machine, but only NeoRouter Client Service on the other machine, as expected.

http://www.neorouter.com/checkport.php says server is active on port 32976. Pretty sure there are no other old NeoRouter servers active on this LAN.

However, cannot log on with NeoRouter Network Explorer, neither from the server machine nor from the pure client machine. Says "Connection to server cannot be established." When I use my router's IP and the port number, I see another error also, "The system could not sign you in. Make sure your username and password are correct." Well, there is no problem with those, they work fine to log in to Win 7 itself on both machines. Unless there is a problem with that silent "first administrative user" that I should be signing in to...

Checked your Dashboard, and cannot log in to the new Domain--it is as if it doesn't exist! Any idea of what I have done wrong? Or is there a bug in your Windows installation wizard? Page 15 of User Manual says "Windows install wizard does this automatically."

Thanks. Do you want me to generate a Log, or do you recognize the issue?

Post subject: Re: Connection to server cannot be established.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:19 am 

Hi bluejay41,

Since you mentioned it doesn't ask you to setup "admin user", it means you have an old server database left on the machine. Please uninstall NR server completely, when it asks you "delete existing files", confirm it. It will delete the database from C:\ProgramData\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\*.db. Next time you install NR server, it will install as a brand new server , create a new db and prompt you for associated domain name and adding admin user.

If you still remember an admin account in the old db and don't want to re-install, please go to the machine, on which the NR server is running, launch NR Configuration Explorer, sign in to "127.0.0.1:32976" see if you can sign in.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter teaem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:04 pm 

Thanks, there were some files in ZebraNetworkSystems. I think they resulted from my earlier, failed, attempt to install.

Deleted NeoRouter via Control Panel, verified that ZebraNetworkSystems in C:\Program Files (x86) is an empty directory, and began reinstalling via your Installation Wizard, beginning with Server, not Client.

Soon came to the window with a form with six dialog boxes to fill in. Clicked radio button "New Domain" (was that wrong?), and filled them all in: domain name, domain password, confirm password, first name, last name and email address.

However, "Next" button is grayed out and does not respond to click. I remember that happened before. So clicked "Existing Domain". Some of the dialog boxes grayed out, but at least "Next" button responded. However it produced an error message, wrong password.

Re-clicked radio button "New Domain" and tried again. This time "Next" button was not grayed out, and I went on to the New Administrator window. This seems to be a minor bug in Installer Wizard which, however, has serious consequences for the user: no error messages, but an unusable NeoRouter installation.

Created the administrative user, and attempted to login to the server, but was presented with the Configuration Explorer. OK...

Was then able to login to the new domain from my second, client-only, computer.

So this is resolved for me, remembering that during installation you must click New Domain, then click Existing Domain and get an error message, then click New Domain again in order to proceed.

Now to create some shared files and continue my tests. Looks promising at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:21 pm 

I had a similar issue when I first installed the server on a new machine. I think it was due to a mismatch or other error in the password field (password too long maybe). No errors are given if the password is incorrect for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:25 pm 

My final post on this topic, I think. Now have one server and three clients (one of the three clients is on the machine which is also the connection server). File sharing works great. All three machines have shared files which the other two access routinely, though in the long run only two machines will host shared files, and up to 20 or so clients will access those files. Seems to be working. Case closed. Bye bye, Hamachi.

May now go on to see if some of the other features (besides file sharing) work for us. But that hardly matters -- it is the reasonably fast, perfectly secure file sharing we needed.

Thanks, kevinz and nr1.