Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unable to connect to server only
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:18 pm 

I have set up Neorouter on a server (W7 Ultimate x64) at home and had it all configured with 4 machines on 3 different networks (local network and 2 remote over the WAN) all connected and working. All I did to make this work was forward port 32976 in the router.

I have now moved the server to another location and have forwarded TCP & UDP on port 32976 (Mikrotik RB750GL). The tests come back as green when I check. All clients are connected and I can ping and RDP between them all with no problems. The server is connected to 127.0.0.1 via the Connection Options > Server Local Address tab, port is default at 32976.

The only thing I can't do is connect to the server, either ping or RDP. It is showing as online on all clients.

I have tried sticking the server in a DMZ and this didn't do anything, I am not sure what to try next.

Post subject: Re: Unable to connect to server only
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:09 pm 

So a bit of an update.

I did notice that when I ping the servers internal address on the VPN (10.0.0.200) that I was getting a response from my ISP's gateway. I also noticed that the site where my server is wasn't set up to respond to ICMP so I altered that to match the configuration of the test site. This didn't seem to do anything.

If I run a tracert to the server it seems to get sent over my wired network and out of the default gateway and then fails at the ISP's gateway, which ties in with the errors above. If I tracert anything else on the VPN(10.0.0.x) there is 1 hop, the destination. So for some reason none of the clients are sending requests for 10.0.0.200 over the VPN for some reason.

Post subject: Re: Unable to connect to server only
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:29 pm 

And just to round it off and mark this as resolved.

Following on from above it would appear that something wasn't routing correctly and for some reason the server had lost the Neorouter network connection. Some random disabling/re-enabling seemed to fix it. I'd already rebooted a couple of times so I'm not sure what was the actual problem.

So, thanks... I guess!