Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NeoRouter Packet Prioritization
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:07 pm 

I'm currently backing up data over NeoRouter through my Cable connection and I'm trying to prioritize packets as they leave my Linux gateway server so that interactive traffic, web traffic and traffic from my web servers get priority over the backups. Using Linux TC, that all is working OK. The only problem is that interactive traffic in the NeoRouter tunnel suffers terribly when backups are happening.

I tried marking NeoRouter packets from certain hosts with DSCP, but once it hits the NeoRouter Server and is proxied (from what I understand if I'm using iptables, I can't set-up P2P connections at all) the DSCP mark disappears and I can't filter on it.

I'd like to ask for a feature request to have have NeoRouter server remark the packets if DSCP/COS/TOS is set so they can be filtered on. I guess for the security paranoid, there may be a leak of information as anyone can see that a packet has a priority. Well behaved applications that mark low delay (like SSH) should see much better performance without making things complex for the end user (depending on if the ISP honors TOS).