Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reactivate Server
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 pm 

I started a domain in December, and now it won't connect. I don't know how to start it back up, because anything in the two .exe on my computer requires logging into the domain, and it won't come up. How the heck do I get it set back up?

Post subject: Re: Reactivate Server
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:36 pm 

Here's a screenshot of my desktop with several windows exposed to help y'all identify the issue. It includes the ports forwarded, the dashboard settings, connection error code, and ping status. Pings are successful, so the server must be running. I can get a screenshot of the processes and/or services if that would help. But neither the network explorer nor network config are allowing me to log onto my server, nor is the dashboard able to connect.

Please reply to this post! It should be simple for old-time users to identify the issue from this screenshot! I'm highly tempted to just uninstall NeoRouter because of this friggin' issue!

Attachments:
NeoRouter.png
NeoRouter.png [ 254.02 KiB | Viewed 13342 times ]

Last edited by Brotuulaan on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:45 pm 

The first thing to check is your firewall to make sure there is a rule allowing NeoRouter on the open default port.

Also make sure that you didn't change the default port to something unique. If you did then make sure your firewall allows traffic on that port.

Then test again using the NeoRouter Dashboard or some other on-line tool for checking open port.

Also make sure the NeoRouter services are actually running on your NeoRouter server machine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:44 pm 

Hi Brotuulaan,

One more thing to add is that your local LAN uses 10.0.0.x range, that may conflicts with NeoRouter default DHCP range. When you connected to the NR server, please change the NR DHCP range to a different network range, such as 172.16.x.x/255.255.0.0 or so.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:30 pm 

Thanks for getting back to me. So can someone list for me all the NR services? I see two in my list that are probably it:

NRClientService
NRConnection Server

They are both running. Is there some other setting within them that may have changed at reboot? Are there any more services that are perhaps listed elsewhere?

How might I check whether I changed the listening port? I don't think I did, because it was working when I originally set it up but not now, and I don't think I changed anything in between.

And how would I change my DHCP settings? Is that going to be inside Config Explorer once I get it connected again?

Just to confirm Firewall settings, what should be listed and how should it be checked? I'm running Windows Firewall on W8.1. In trying to get this to work, I think I added the Config and Network Explorer .exe programs but they weren't there originally - only the NRService and NRServer options were there, each with four instances: two for each service deactivated, and one of each set *of two* marked for Private and one for Public. Does that make sense?

***EDIT***

I looked up my connection error and found some part of the description of the "Media Hairpin Issue" match my issue. I was able to log into Config Explorer by using my local IP instead of my public IP. Under the "Computers" list, I see my own computer listed, but it says I'm offline. Is that because I'm not connecting via my public IP? Does that matter?

It doesn't seem to be allowing me to log into the Network Explorer via my local IP. Is that why it lists my computer as offline? That makes more sense to me. But rather than popping up with an error message as it always did when I tried my public IP, it just keeps cycling just shy of 4 times of the loading block moving across. It briefly flashes what looks like my computer name at the top, then says "reconnecting to neorouter server" instead of "signing in to neorouter server." Does that mean it connected for a brief period? Can you not connect to the VPN from the server host via local IP?

As for logging into NR on my home server via a computer OUTside of my LAN, I tried with my work computer, and it wouldn't let me in. I'm presuming I use my User Account login for Network Explorer (both username and password) and either the domain name or PUBLIC IP address of my network/NR server? That's how it seems that it is supposed to go. So confirmation step 2 of the Media Hairpin Issue did not match up.

I haven't tried connecting with a separate computer on my LAN bc this is the only one with NR currently installed. I'll try that if necessary, but since the other step didn't match up, I wouldn't expect to have the Hairpin issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:16 am 

When you connect using the local LAN IP your system should show as connected at least it does for me.

You could try creating a rule in your router that uses the LAN IP 192.168.x.x or whatever your range is outside of the VPN 10.x.x.x range.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:42 pm 

Here is a picture of my Config screen while logged in with local IP. It is the same when logged in with the domain field blank.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about creating the router rule. Can you clarify? In case you didn't see on my previous pics, my LAN IP system is also 10.x.x.x.

Attachments:
NeoRouter.jpg
NeoRouter.jpg [ 65.66 KiB | Viewed 13190 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:54 pm 

So I feel really stupid now... There was one thing that I never checked because I didn't expect it to change.

***SOLUTION***

In going through all the troubleshooting, there was one element that I never checked, and that was my local IP. At some point between originally setting up NR and now, my local IP changed from 10.0.0.3 to 10.0.0.5. Because of this, my port forwarding settings in my router were no longer applicable, because they were forwarding to the wrong IP address.

On a whim, I did: Run -> cmd -> ipconfig

This is when I found that none of the IPs listed in the info matched 10.0.0.3. As such, I changed my port forwarding to match the IPv4 address listed under my wireless adapter (since I'm not connected via Ethernet cable but rather using my wireless card), which was 10.0.0.5. I tried logging into NR again afterward, and it magically worked!

IF YOU ARE GETTING THE ERROR MESSAGE [hr=0x8007274c], TAKE THESE STEPS:

Run -> cmd -> ipconfig

Once that has spit out the info, check the IP address listed by IPv4 under whichever LAN adapter you're using, be it your wireless card, Ethernet cable, or other. Check that IP address against your port forwarding. It may be that it has changed without you realizing it, WHICH WILL BREAK YOUR SERVER!

Thanks to all who tried to help me out! Now you can take my mistake and hopefully help somebody else.