Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Neorouter Server on Amazon EC2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:32 am 

I have a bunch of Raspberry Pi's and some Openwrt routers that use the free version, all talking back to a Pi, running as a server. The Pi is pretty robust, but it went down this morning (I think the nrservice stopped running). As a result, my other Pi's went down as I have a cron job running on them every 5 mins that will restart the network interfaces AND then reboot if this fails a 2nd time,on each pi/router.

So I'm thinking of moving the server to an image in the cloud, on one of the various (Linux) hosting services-I think Amazon does this. Has anybody else experience of moving a server onto the cloud for resilience?

I was thinking of running a 2nd server, but I don't see how you can have a main/standby Neorouter configuration.....

ta

cabs

Post subject: Re: Neorouter Server on Amazon EC2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:50 am 

Hi cabsandy,

NeoRouter server can be hosted on any vps/vm, but it doesn't support HA yet. Regarding Pi, if you can collect log file of NR server, we can help you to investigate it. One of a common issues with your Pi would be it used up too much network resources and caused connections reset. If in this case, you can optimize your pi and setup Traffic Control to limit the connection bandwidth and it will be fine.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:48 pm 

Kevin
Thanks for the reply-I set up an account on an EC2 instance last night, and set up a new server. I then pointed my existing domain up at the EC2 instance IP, and it confirmed that the port was open and all was fine.However, none of my clients showed up! I'm guessing I need to move the database from the existing server to the new one? How would I do that?

One thing that puzzled me is that after I pointed the domain at the EC2 instance, the clients stayed up-I would have thought they would have dropped off?

thanks

cabs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:31 pm 

Hi cabsandy,

Yes. When migrating to a new server, you may want to copy the database file over to the new serve and shutdown the old server. If you have NR domain setup, NR server will update it with the new IP address. NR Pro clients are able to detect the server's IP changes in 5min and automatically reconnect to the new server; NR Free clients may take 1 hour to discover the changes and finally reconnect to the new server. You can manually restart the NR client service to force it to connect to the new server.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:26 am 

kevinz wrote:
Hi cabsandy,

Yes. When migrating to a new server, you may want to copy the database file over to the new serve and shutdown the old server. If you have NR domain setup, NR server will update it with the new IP address. NR Pro clients are able to detect the server's IP changes in 5min and automatically reconnect to the new server; NR Free clients may take 1 hour to discover the changes and finally reconnect to the new server. You can manually restart the NR client service to force it to connect to the new server.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Just wanted to say, NR Server has been working superbly well on the free EC2 tier-rock solid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:48 am 

I have been hosting a neorouter free server for a few months now on SecureDragons lowest package. $1.50/month for 64MB RAM/64MB SWAP/250GB Bandwidth/3GB Space. Works beautifully!