Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Raspberry Pi and TighVNC viewer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:23 pm 

This might be a no brainer to linux guys but I'm struggling to work out how to get around this. I have setup a Raspberry Pi to act as a USB extender and this is working great. The trouble comes in when I try and connect to the Pi via TightVNC viewer on the windows box. I can access the Pi via VNC using the LAN address (192.168.x.x) but all I get when I try and connect via NeoRouterVPN address (10.0.x.x) is a time out message "Error in TightVNC Viewer: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did respond after a period of time, or establish connection failed because connected host failed to respond"

Using NeoRouter Network Explorer and clicking on the TightVNC connection causes a different message. This one is "Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

So connecting from outside the LAN is impossible to achieve as it stands at the moment (unless it's a firewall issue on the Pi).

Any help much appreciated. Connecting to Windows boxes by the way works like a charm. No problems at all.

Thanks
Roger

Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi and TighVNC viewer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 pm 

Hi aremdee,

Try the PuTty icon from NR client UI see if you can ssh to it. Your error message means the computer exists, but vnc server is not listening at the port or the port gets blocked. If you can ssh to it over NR network, check firewall or double check your VNC server. If Putty not working, check if nrtap device is up on your Rpi (ifconfig).

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRotuer team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:48 am 

aremdee wrote:
This might be a no brainer to linux guys but I'm struggling to work out how to get around this. I have setup a Raspberry Pi to act as a USB extender and this is working great. The trouble comes in when I try and connect to the Pi via TightVNC viewer on the windows box. I can access the Pi via VNC using the LAN address (192.168.x.x) but all I get when I try and connect via NeoRouterVPN address (10.0.x.x) is a time out message "Error in TightVNC Viewer: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did respond after a period of time, or establish connection failed because connected host failed to respond"

Using NeoRouter Network Explorer and clicking on the TightVNC connection causes a different message. This one is "Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

So connecting from outside the LAN is impossible to achieve as it stands at the moment (unless it's a firewall issue on the Pi).

Any help much appreciated. Connecting to Windows boxes by the way works like a charm. No problems at all.

Thanks
Roger

Sounds like you have a firewall issue.We could do with knowing the output of "sudo iptables -L" on the Pi.

If you can connect on the lan, download putty to your Windows PC, connect by LAN address (192.168.x.x) and you can copy the output.

Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi and TightVNC viewer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:16 pm 

Thanks guys for getting back.

Kevin I can SSH into the Pi using PuTTY without any problem using the NeoRouter address, it's just when I try and connect using Neo Router's VNCViewer that the connection is actively refused. As I stated earlier using the TightVNC (installed program) viewer I have to use the LAN address of the Pi as the VPN address times out.

Shane the Iptables -L output is

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Not sure what that all means though, I suppose I should Google it :)

Many thanks for your help though.

Regards
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:10 am 

Hmmm.. so not firewall then..

Not too sure in that case.

Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi and TightVNC viewer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 pm 

All good now. Not bothering with VNCViewer but instead using RDP. For those struggling with connecting from a windows box (and I may be the only one) use this tutorial http://www.raspians.com/Knowledgebase/setting-up-a-remote-desktop-view-the-pi-on-your-windows-pc/ and you'll be using Remote Desktop from Windows like a pro. :D

Roger