Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question regarding client and server on same machine linux
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:50 am 

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I bought a raspberry pi for the only reason you buy one; to play with it. I have successfully installed the nrserver and can connect to it inside and outside my home network with a laptop. I would also like to be able to access services on the raspberry pi itself running the nrserver. I installed the client as well. When i configure and launch the client with the domain that is configured to run on the nrserver application the client software on the pi connects and shows the computers that are currently connected. All well and good.

The problem is once that connection is made to the server from the client software on the same device it drops itself from the wifi network it is connected to. (At least I think its dropping because if I start the GUI I have to connect back to the wifi router manually.) When the client is connected to the server on the Pi I loose all network connectivity. I cannot ping it from another device and I cannot access outside services with it. This issue is persistent through a reboot. The only way I can get the machine working properly again is to remove the Client.xml file and reboot thus removing its connection to nrserver.

I googled my brains out trying to fix it with no luck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
-Eric

**Update** The issue is the client software is causing wlan0 to disconnect. I found 3 other posts on this forum but none of them had been answered yet. I can open the GUI and reconnect the wifi and get everything working but it will disconnect again after some time. I cannot get the service to run properly without manually reconnecting the wifi.

Post subject: Re: Question regarding client and server on same machine linux
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:55 am 

Hi ericjr,

Please check if NR server uses the same DHCP range (default is 10.0.0.x) as your wifi IP range. If yes, please change the NR server DHCP range to different network, or they may conflict.

Change linux setting, make wifi starts first on your pi, before nrclient service starts.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:13 am 

kevinz,
Thank you for the reply. I changed the DHCP range to 8.0.0.0 as my router was using the 10.0.1.0 by default. It still disconnects the machine's wifi every time I connect the client. If it helps any I'm getting a "Signal 15 received" from the wifi GUI app when the client is launched.

-Eric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:37 pm 

at raspi's client(clientcmd) domain prompt, did you try using 127.0.0.1:port, instead of doman/LAN IP/external IP?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:10 pm 

ElTopo I did try with 127.0.0.1. As soon as the client connects to the server it shows other computers connected to the server but then wifi disconnects. I've found a few posts on this forum with people that have the same issue. Wifi is never an issue with that machine except when I connect the client.

Thank you for the suggestion.
-Eric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:47 pm 

Hello!
I can confirm the same behavior as ericjr on the raspberry pi.
I am running stock raspbian wheezy, and wifi worked correctly until I installed neorouter client, at which point the wifi dies within 5 seconds.

If you also have a raspberry pi, you can achieve the same problem for debugging by following these steps:
Note: This assumes the following:
You have a NeoRouter server to connect to that is working
You are using a Raspberry pi
You are on Wifi using a Wifi dongle and Ethernet is not connected
-

1) Be logged in on your raspberry pi, connected to Wifi using a dongle such as the Wi-Pi one. Ethernet is not connected.
2) Install, as root, the latest version (at the time of this writing) of neorouter free client from the downloads page.
3) run /usr/bin/nrclientcmd to launch Network Explorer CLI and login.
4) Notice that the wifi has disconnected. If you are in a desktop session, you can try reconnecting and get cryptic errors.

After rebooting the system, I watched the startup sequence enable my wifi dongle, connect it to my wireless network, and everything seem fine.
As soon as nrservice is started, the wifi will disconnect within 5 seconds.

I have done some experimenting and this is the quite interesting way to get it to work:
1) Stop nrservice as root
2) Connect to wifi
3) Start nrservice as root. Within that 3 or 5 second window, use nrclientcmd to connect to the server. (hint: parameters are your friend here)
4) Wifi will disconnect. Reconnect
5) Connection stabilizes and doesn't seem to kick you off anymore.

Devs, I hope this helps.
As a collegiate SE this really reminds me of my final project... I have made similar coding mistakes before :)