Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does database server cache the MAC address of clients?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:20 pm 

So...
I have a few Raspberry Pi's, and I backup the images. Before I save them as a default image for any new Pi's I..

delete the settings in /usr/local/ZebraNetworkSystems
remove the client.xml file (which I think step 1 does anyway)
stop the service
dpkg remove nrclient

I now think I have a "clean" image, in terms of NRouter-but no! If I take a completley different image, and log in with a brand new username, I still see the "old" client appear on my Explorer screen. The only thing that is the same, is the eth0 MAC address on the Pi (I can use the same Pi over many images)

So, does the server/server database "cache" MAC's/keep them in some ARP table for a period of time?-which means that MAC address (which is burned into the board so I have no way of changing it) is the defining address?
If so, how do I flush that MAC address from the system 100%, so I know when it is used again (might be a day, might be a month), it doesn't a) resume its old ID b) kick another client off that I have gave that ID for (say that original Pi was away getting repaired).

Thanks! :-)

cabs

Post subject: Re: Does database server cache the MAC address of clients?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:13 pm 

Hi cabsandy,

By default NR client use the MAC of the machine to register to the server to identify itself the first time you sign in to the server. The ID (MAC) is stored in the NR server's database.

You may want to delete the computer from NR console.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:26 pm 

Kevin
Thanks for the confirmation-however,and I will try this again, I'm sure I deleted each of the "old" ones off the console.-is that Neorouter Configuration Explorer?
Is there any other way that the MAC address of the eth0 adaptor on the Pi could be kept on the database-I looked at my database, and can see the entries, but not sure if I could/should delete anything!
Just seems strange that I can swap everything, except the Pi hardware, and the same ID crops up.

cheers

cabs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:15 am 

I've been thinking about this a bit more, and as the database is a *.db file on the server, would it be possible to SCP this down, and manually delete the entries of interest?

cheers

cabs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:14 am 

Hi cabsandy,

The MAC address as the identifier of a NR client is stored in the *.db database on the server site. There are several ways to delete a computer entry.
1. NR Configuration Explorer on Windows
2. NR Web Console from any browser
3. CLI - go to the server machine, run as root
a. on Windows, nrserver.exe -agentmode -deletecomputer <COMPUTERNAME>
b. on Linux/Unix/Mac, nrserver -deletecomputer <COMPUTERNAME>
Those CLI commands modify the database , but you cannot change the database directly.

Tip: Before deleting NR client from server/console, quit from NR client/clientcmd, as it may re-register if the automatic sign in is enabled.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:52 pm 

kevinz wrote:
Hi cabsandy,

The MAC address as the identifier of a NR client is stored in the *.db database on the server site. There are several ways to delete a computer entry.
1. NR Configuration Explorer on Windows
2. NR Web Console from any browser
3. CLI - go to the server machine, run as root
a. on Windows, nrserver.exe -agentmode -deletecomputer <COMPUTERNAME>
b. on Linux/Unix/Mac, nrserver -deletecomputer <COMPUTERNAME>
Those CLI commands modify the database , but you cannot change the database directly.

Tip: Before deleting NR client from server/console, quit from NR client/clientcmd, as it may re-register if the automatic sign in is enabled.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Kevin
Many thanks for that comprehensive reply, I will go away and try a few of these, and let you know how I get on

thanks

cabs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:13 pm 

Nope.

Using the CLI, i stopped the service on the client, by using /etc/init.d/nrclient.sh stop and/or killall nrservice. I can see the nrtap interface has gone down.

I delete the computer and with sudo nrserver -showcomputers ,I can see the computer has gone from the server. I also deleted both the client and DNS xml files from the client machine.

I then make a new user, which I then use to login, on the client-as soon as I do it, the "old" client name pops up in the NR Network Explorer, with the new client name as the description???, and with the "old" IP.
When logged into the server, I can see the new user is the one being used, but it uses the old computer name

ComputerName=TP-703-*******l-1, Alias=, Type=KAM, Description=tracey's computer

so tracey is the user, but as you can see, not the computer.I could change it in the alias part, but then things start to get unwieldy if I need to do this for multiple accounts/clients.

Which sounds to me like an ARP table entry still exists for that MAC, and gives out the IP, with the old hostname, from/on the server.

Thoughts?

cabs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:37 pm 

<Bump>

Still not found, or had a satisfactory answer to this-even if someone on NR labs could test this out? No matter what I do, or instructions I use, the "old" MAC address seems to be kept forever on the database of the server.Short of nuking the server database every time I want to "reuse" a device/MAC, I dont see a good way round this problem

thanks

cabs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:11 pm 

cabsandy wrote:
Nope.

Using the CLI, i stopped the service on the client, by using /etc/init.d/nrclient.sh stop and/or killall nrservice. I can see the nrtap interface has gone down.

I delete the computer and with sudo nrserver -showcomputers ,I can see the computer has gone from the server. I also deleted both the client and DNS xml files from the client machine.

I then make a new user, which I then use to login, on the client-as soon as I do it, the "old" client name pops up in the NR Network Explorer, with the new client name as the description???, and with the "old" IP.
When logged into the server, I can see the new user is the one being used, but it uses the old computer name

ComputerName=TP-703-*******l-1, Alias=, Type=KAM, Description=tracey's computer

so tracey is the user, but as you can see, not the computer.I could change it in the alias part, but then things start to get unwieldy if I need to do this for multiple accounts/clients.

Which sounds to me like an ARP table entry still exists for that MAC, and gives out the IP, with the old hostname, from/on the server.

Thoughts?

cabs

i think it working, thanks anyway

Post subject: Re: Does database server cache the MAC address of clients?(ok)
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:36 am 

Meant to update this before now...

Got it working in the end-the trick seems to be to delete the computer in Neorouter Explorer, and flush the client setting on said computer. The MAC address will still lease the same private IP (normal DHCP server behavior), but the actual name changes, which is what I wanted.

cheers

cabs