Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NR Client suddenly goes high ping/latency
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:54 am 

Hi
I use PRTG (https://www.paessler.com/prtg) to monitor some devices behind routers.NR is a great client to use as I dont have to worry about setting up rules on firewalls/open ports etc.The clients are mainly Raspberry Pi's, with a few OpenWRT routers as well
All in all, it works well, but sometimes the ping sensor which monitors the PI (using the NR private IP as the destination), which is normally <20ms, will shoot up to >500ms, and stay there.PRTG alerts me to this, and the only way to fix it is to either reboot the device, or restart the nrclient service on the device.

I have tried various things but only the above will fix the issue-I have set up other pings on the PRTG server, to the public IP of the router (of which the Pi is behind), and through this, that ping remains <20ms-so the issue is not bandwidth or routing-it always seem to be the NR process on the Pi itself.Using the top command, the Pi seems ok from a memory and CPU process point of view-,yes the NR service jumps up and down from about 1-7% CPU, but this shouldn't make a difference in the latency measurement.You know when things are not right, as when you SSH into the Pi, the console is very sluggish-restart NR,everything is ok then

Any idea on what could be causing this, or a way I can further investigate? It can be fine for days/even weeks, and then suddenly will shoot up-looking at the syslogs,I cant find any reason why this would happen.
The attached picture shows what I mean, hopefully! :-)

cheers

cabs

Attachments:
File comment: Example of high ping, and being fixed by restart of service
pi NR client high ping.png
pi NR client high ping.png [ 29.69 KiB | Viewed 14144 times ]

Post subject: Re: NR Client suddenly goes high ping/latency
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:32 am 

<Bump>
Anybody there? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:31 pm 

When NR clients can establish P2P connections, it's fast; or it falls to relay mode automatically and all packets will be relayed by your NR server. If your server is slow (it's CPU bound), you may get high ping response. There are various reasons impact NR clients while establishing P2P, in terms of your network environment. 500ms is very high. Would suggest you move your server to a faster computer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:48 am 

kevinz wrote:
When NR clients can establish P2P connections, it's fast; or it falls to relay mode automatically and all packets will be relayed by your NR server. If your server is slow (it's CPU bound), you may get high ping response. There are various reasons impact NR clients while establishing P2P, in terms of your network environment. 500ms is very high. Would suggest you move your server to a faster computer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Kevin
For some reason, I do not get subscription updates to this thread so just replying now...
The server is an EC2 instance, and is rock solid-the response from the PRTG server to it is normally 160ms, and has an uptime of over a 100 days, so I dont think the server, nor the link, is the issue? To be clear, I have multiple Pi's talking back to this same server using Neorouter as the VPN, and the problem seems to be the NR clinet on individual machines, as they can be fine for weeks, and then suddenly shoot up in response-and stay there? Whilst others are absolutely fine...

To re-iterate, restarting the service on the client NR device, or restarting the device, clears the issue-I dont need to do anything on the server.So the issue is the client service-the reason is why?

Thanks

cabs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:14 am 

Hi cabsandy,

Thanks for your updates.

There are various reasons may causing the issue. If you can reproduce it in one of your clients, please collect the log file of the nrservice and send it to us so that we can help you to investigate it.

Generally it would be affected by the environment, such as wifi network, any app running on your rpi (since its cpu is not powerful, a big app may slow down nrservice).

Let us know if any clue.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:00 am 

Kev
Subscription replies still not working :-) Where is the log file on the Pi?

Cheers

cabs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:00 am 

Whilst i search for my log file :-) another "gone high" example. Put in
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/nrservice.sh restart
and all good!

Attachments:
chart.png
chart.png [ 32.42 KiB | Viewed 13769 times ]