Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: When will NR get competitive performance?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:07 pm 

I posted this on the end of a thread in the HOWTO section so forgive the cross-post, but I hope this gets a reply.

We are moving our company's network to DigitalOcean and took the opportunity to test VPN speeds between two DO instances -- one using NeoRouter Pro (p2p) and one using OpenVPN.

Over their public IPs and internal DigitalOcean Private IPs, we saw 1.7-1.9 GBits/sec.

Over OpenVPN (udp, lx4 compression), about 190-250 MBits/sec.

Over nrtap, 9-18 MBits/sec.

Obviously a VPN is going to lose some speed over a regular network but this is pretty terrible. Anything we do about it? We've loved NR Pro for years now and it's certainly much more pleasant to administer than OpenVPN, but the performance deficit is making it untenable and since we're changing up all our infrastructure anyway, unless there's a solution in sight we have to close the book on NR as a great tool for 2010-2016.

Post subject: Re: When will NR get competitive performance?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 am 

I don't need that kind of speeds, but I think you are right, NR is so good for administration and I find it really good for my application.

I am not 100% optimistic that the team is going to update NR as often as OpenVPN, that's natural I guess, but I am hopeful that we are going to get some new features from time to time. I don't know the situation at the team, or how many people are behind NR, but you should know there are a lot us that really really love NR, and for me, I couldn't find a better alternative that is good for my needs, so I bought it happily.

PS. You should really add SSL certificate to your site... especially after Let's Encrypt has made it really simple nowadays...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:57 am 

I suspect NeoRouter's target market is quite comfortable trading some performance for ease of administration. It's priced aggressively as well, especially compared to OpenVPN's commercial offering.

But 10% of OpenVPN's performance is pretty bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:56 am 

In the absence of any official answer, we're planning on retiring our NeoRouter Pro setup within the next month. OpenVPN is a lot less pleasant but the performance is so much better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:42 am 

Aquitaine wrote:
I suspect NeoRouter's target market is quite comfortable trading some performance for ease of administration. It's priced aggressively as well, especially compared to OpenVPN's commercial offering.

But 10% of OpenVPN's performance is pretty bad.

The issue is that their driver installs a 100Mbps network interface instead of 1GB or even 10GB nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:23 am 

OK - so are there plans to update the driver? If not, why not?

Where is the company?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:44 am 

Hi guys,

Thanks for your posts and sorry for the delayed response.

The performance testing is always a hot topic and different testing approaches can cause various results. From surface, OpenVPN and NeoRouter seem similar: collect packets, encrypte/compress and transfer them to the remote computer; then decrypte/decompress, put them to the virtual adapter and route to the network. So generally the performance is impacted by the local/remote computer performance (encryption/decryption/compression) and network performance.

The perfromance is also related to the virtual tunnel. NeoRouter can automatically detect network envrionment and establish UDP P2P connection, if failed, it will try TCP P2P connection and would fall back to relay mode (relayed by NR server) in a restricted or busy network. Unlike NeoRouter, OpenVPN is a peer to peer system. When setting up the network, you can configure it to use UDP or TCP connection. It's similar to UDP P2P and TCP P2P in NeoRouter. UDP P2P can provide the best performance, then TCP P2P, the relay mode would give you the worse performance for sure. So while testing, make sure both use the same tunnel type.

Though tunnel types are same, you may still get different result, because both use differnet optimization approaches. For example, enabling packet encryption or compression may impact the perfromacne too; for different testing packet size may be related to the MTU setting as well.

If you want to get the best performance, you may want to optimize the system against your application.

In a word, the goal of NeoRouter is to provide most users (non-technical) with an easy to use VPN tool/solution.

Btw, we will update the network adapter driver on Windows in the next release. But technically the 100Mbpm or 1Gbpm displayed by a virtual network adapter doesn't really mean any difference.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:19 am 

Thank you Kevin,

Looking forward to next releases!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 am 

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the reply. It's good to see this being addressed.

I am a little confused by this statement:

Quote:
Unlike NeoRouter, OpenVPN is a peer to peer system

But then you go on to say that NeoRouter supports UDP P2P just like OpenVPN does -- and we've had it working in this mode for some time. Obviously direct and relay modes will be slower, just as they are with OpenVPN.

I updated both our NeoRouter Pro server and Windows client and I'm averaging about 15 megabits/sec versus 10-12 times that for OpenVPN between the same servers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:55 am 

The part about provisional games needs to be known by more people. I occasionally get people who tell my other teammates to get out of comp if you don't have a platinum emblem, but then you can't get that emblem without playing comp in the first place.