Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 1511 after-reboot issue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:45 pm 

I changed NR client service's startup type to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" and rebooted the system, and when system boots up, it shows UAC dialog:
Attachment:
File comment: NR client service UAC
nrcliservice.png
nrcliservice.png [ 66.82 KiB | Viewed 20916 times ]

NR client service won't start before I click on [Yes] button.

(after I click [Yes] button, NR client service does start up with a good NR connection).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:59 am 

Hi ElTopo ,

I guess you set NR client UI start when logging into Windows (correct me if I was wrong)? When NR client UI starts, it checks NR client service, if not started yet, it will force it to start. But it may prompt the UAC msg.
If you don't start NR client UI when logging in, NR client service will start automatically(without UAC) , but delayed a little bit (when OS boots up).

If the delay start option works for NR client service, you can delay your NR client UI start.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:45 pm 

kevinz wrote:
Hi ElTopo ,

I guess you set NR client UI start when logging into Windows (correct me if I was wrong)? When NR client UI starts, it checks NR client service, if not started yet, it will force it to start. But it may prompt the UAC msg.
If you don't start NR client UI when logging in, NR client service will start automatically(without UAC) , but delayed a little bit (when OS boots up).

If the delay start option works for NR client service, you can delay your NR client UI start.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Kevin,

You are right, my NR automatically was configured to auto-start after I log in Windows account, thus it triggered UAC.

Now I disabled auto-start, and NR client service (delayed) starts properly.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:38 am 

This issue has also been happening in Windows 2012 Server Standard R2 with Windows 7 x64 machines. When the server is restarted the NeoRouter server works, but after some time, the clients who are outside the LAN get disconnected, it also happens with a lot of the computers in the LAN that are part of the NeoRouter VPN. I've been trying to work on this issue for 2 months now, by doing driver reinstalls, updates, changing public IP, etc, but nothing has worked so far. If anyone has a solution to this issue, it will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:38 am 

Hi all

I've been having this issue randomly with some of my windows 10 machines.
After some poking around I managed find a quick but dirty fix.

Go to system tray, right-click in the network icon and choose Open Network and Sharing Center.
Wait for the magic to happen, after some seconds the HomeGroup will flicker and displays "Available to join".
Done, the network adapter has connected and you can now close the window.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:53 am 

I have the same problem..

windows 10 (latest build) restarts, no NR ip adress, until I open the network connections screen or network sharing center (on the nr server), and yes... the ip adress appears...

logging in to the nr client does not make a difference..

so.. a reboot of the server makes NR non functional machine..
and how do i explan the users to open the network sharing center.. 9or can I script that somewher..)

NR and Win10.. not the perfect combination - somthing changed in the win10 setup ?

I am not saying that NR is guilty !!

tried all dirferent things like the others. (reinstall-diaspble ipv6, etc..)
nr client service in delayed start mode..

problem happens most on the nr server..

a time consuming thing....

What else can I do to make sure that a reboot does not cause trouble to the users...

Thanks for reading, and more thanks for a working solution !

Pieter Timmerman (a long time happy NR user..)

update per may, 12

delayed service start did not help (still no ip adress and UAC, so not helpful for the user..)
i created a batch file with this content:
control netconnections

run this in every's users startup environment, and that generates the most wanted ip adress !.
only issue that the user has a network connection screen, they can close, and if the pc is rebooted but nobody logs in it is not working..

so still looking for the ultimate solution !

thx,

Pieter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:21 pm 

Ok found this - and works for me...
(before this I could not ping my Win10 from Win7 in same NeoRouter domain)

To enable File and Printer Sharing (Private/Public):

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall; scroll down to File Printer and Sharing; click to enable both Private and Public.

I still have to restart the service and wait a few seconds before the adapter is ready.
Still think a startup delay would be a nice fix.
Once all is up - Now I can ping both ways and everything seems to be working as it should.
Cool Beans...

Andyj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:20 am 

For whatever reason neorouter on Win 10 seems kind of finicky. Machine's in external locations (not on lan) show as up as active but cannot ping/rdp/vnc/etc. Lan machine's can be pinged. I have to right-click on win 10 > disconnect & quit then restart the neorouter explorer, rconnect to the domain and wait about 5 min. or so before I can connect to my remote machines.

Seems like if you give it a little time it just starts working after reconnecting to the NR domain.

NOTE: UAC disabled, proper ports allowed through win 10 built-in firewall.

NOTE2: Also adjusted the IPv4 interface metric on the LAN interface to 5 and for the Neorouter Interface to 10 which seems to have somewhat fixed some local DNS issues.

Interface Metric documentation:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299540

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:10 pm 

ruimg wrote:
After some poking around I managed find a quick but dirty fix.

Go to system tray, right-click in the network icon and choose Open Network and Sharing Center.
Wait for the magic to happen, after some seconds the HomeGroup will flicker and displays "Available to join".
Done, the network adapter has connected and you can now close the window.

This works well on every Win10 domain PC. Still think that it's not very good decision.
Hope, developers will fix the problem soon, because NR is the best VPN solution I ever saw (until Win10 released :x ). I really don't want to search and try another product again...

PS: Neorouter on Win10 (out of domain) works properly, I have the after-reboot problem only with domain clients mashines.

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 1511/1607 after-reboot issue
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:45 am 

I have the same problem. There is an event id in windows event logs that points to a problem with neorouter client service at boot time. The adapter is not coming UP, i tried everything here, was not working.

I have been fiddling with this problem for a few hours since it's FUCKING annoying(and i put this mildly) not to be able to reach some pc after reboot.. not acceptable for a network administrator.

So here is my fix, and it's working so far (finger crossed). I have rebooted, shutdown-restarted a computer about 30 times just to make sure it was just not oddly working, as it was sometime doing before.

Open a command prompt and paste this

netsh interface show interface

Identify your neorouter adapter name (for me it was Ethernet 2)

Create a batch file (neorouter.cmd) in your c drive root, or anywhere other then where someone could delete it and paste in it (replace "Ethernet 2" with your neorouter adapter name, leave the "" there)

PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 60000 >NUL
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 2" admin=enable

Now go in event log- Control panel-administrative tools-event viewer
Browse to windows logs- applications
Find a log with neorouter after a reboot time
Select the log line and clic in the right panel attach task to log

Action - Start a program- next
Browse to the cmd file we created (neorouter.cmd) -next
check the open dialog box when finished -next

select user or group
advance
find