Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bandwidth shaping
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:30 pm 

I am learning the intricacies of bandwidth management and traffic shaping, so if my question is off the wall, please excuse my ignorance. I am learning this because the office and remote workers are going to be using VoIP and I need to manage bandwidth at the office location.

I have been researching the issue for maybe 10 hours so I am just now reaching out for help.

I would like to limit the uploading bandwidth of NeoRouter connections at the office router. Uploading to the WAN from the office is limited to <>2Mb and anyone on the NeoRouter network would suck up at least half of that with a file download from the office server. I need to leave a hole in the bandwidth so VoIP has a good chance of connecting cleanly.

On the router, I gave the mac address of a remote computer a specific office router LAN IP address (10.141.229.xxx) but I cannot use that to control the bandwidth.

It seems I could only control the bandwidth with the router if I could control the NeoRouter IP address, but my router (Cisco RV082) won't recognize those IP addresses.

I could limit the bandwidth at the server, but some remote laptops do come into the office and I need to allow them full bandwidth while they are there.

We have a license for 50 NeoRouter connections. We are converting to Linux from Windows, so at the moment it is a mixed bag of OSs. I appreciate NeoRouter, so thanks for the good work.

Lost in Medford, Oregon, USA. Any help appreciated. John.

Post subject: Re: Bandwidth shaping
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:15 am 

Hi OregonJohn,

I can understand your situation. From NeoRouter point of view, it's recommended to put traffic control on the server. On the server side (NR server box), you can limit the traffic for each connection. But you may not be able to control by virtual IP instead of physical IP.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team