Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: More on Win 10, NeoRouter, and Ubuntu into the mix.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:45 am 

I administer two LANs, home and work, each with 6-7 active computers, most dual booted (Win 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 at work), or triple/quadruple booted at home (Win XP, Win 7, Win 10, Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and others). I have seen the problems described by others between Win 10 machines, and am having fair success by attending to Firewall permissions and starting Network Sharing Center to start things going.

But Ubuntu 16.04 machines at home can no longer contact file-sharing Win 10 machines at work, although Ubuntu 16.04 machines at work CAN login to the file-sharing Win 10 machines at work. But a Ubuntu 12.04 at home CAN! Madness. So I am keeping one Ubuntu 12.04 installation "forever".

Further, Win 10 machines cannot login to file-sharing Ubuntu machies via NeoRouter, either on the local LAN or across town. A "green ribbon of death" spreads across the location sub-window of the file manager window as I try to log in. The green ribbon starts with the first keystroke of the login name. Yet pinging (both via the NeoRouter client GUI and via command window) works, and the remote machine's shared file icons are right there on the screen, proving there is full connectivity at the network level. But login fails.

Since I have so many options of different OS combinations, I am willing to conduct any experiments and keep any logs which Kevinz or others might suggest.

In the days of Win XP, Win 7, and Ubuntu 12.04, all of my home and work machines could share files in both directions, no problem. Now, the older Win versions are as helpless as Win 10 at logging in to a NeoRouter file-sharing Ubuntu system, suggesting a Ubuntu (or NeoRouter on Ubuntu) problem.

Post subject: Re: More on Win 10, NeoRouter, and Ubuntu into the mix.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:13 pm 

As is often the case when things seem "impossible", more than one thing was going wrong at once. Key was a motherboard on one of the servers which went slightly bonkers after two years of good service. Probably the fault was in its on-board networking interface, but I did not take the time to debug it completely, I just replaced the damn machine, No more problems.