Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bandwith and some general questiond
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:15 am 

Hello everyone, I could not find any answers to the following questions I am having.

1. In the FREE version, is the bandwidth limited to 50/50Mbits (while having a gigabit line both sides) or I am experiencing a bug? The speed wouldn't go above that.
2. If it's limited for FREE version, does the PREMIUM license allow unlimited bandwidth (depending on user bandwidth)?
3. After using a PREMIUM license on one computer, and later deciding not to use it on that computer anymore, or fully resetting it, do I get my license back? If yes, is it something I can do or do I have to contact support to do it for me?
4. As I can see, FREE and PREMIUM version have encryption enabled, is there a way to disable it for faster transfer speeds?

Thank you for taking your time to help me...

Regards

Post subject: Re: Bandwith and some general questiond
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:42 am 

Hi unitingrelyt,

1.No throughput/speed control over NR Free edition, but the speed can be impacted by 1) the physical network speed/throughput 2) the CPU speed of the computer/device 3) network environment ( if your network allows your NR clients to establish UDP P2P connections, you will be much better performance)

2.With NR Pro, some advanced features, such as ACL rules and packet filtering allowing you to filter out packets you don't need, hence improve the performance.

3.Yes. You can delete a computer from NR Config Explorer/NR Web Console to release a license slot for other computers. Btw, uninstalling a NR client doesn't automatically delete it from NR server.

4.Yes. You can disable encryption and compression options in the Feature.ini file for each NR client. (see user manual or wiki)

Let us know if you have any question or concern.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:09 am 

Okay, so I am testing it on one PC, and the bandwidth is 100/50. But I am only getting 45/45... Do you happen to know why?
The PC has i7-6700K, 32gb DDR4 ram so enough...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:11 am 

Hi unitingrelyt,

There is always a little overhead a VPN tunnel chew, in terms of protocol and data passed through the tunnels, and the software based VPN has to encrypt/decrypt a packet and send it over the physical network adapter, so the speed will be slower than the physical network for sure.

If you expect the similar throughput over VPN in your testing (same volume of data pass through the VPN tunnel), the max speed would be limited by the smaller number (will be 50 instead of 100)

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team