Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Neorouter Pro 2.4 disconnect/reconnect issues
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 am 

Hello,

I've been running NR Pro for many years with hardly any issues of any kind since the early days of v1.x. It has worked so well that I'm somewhat surprised that I'm having the current problem. My NR server is the same Windows 2003 server I've been using for the past 6 years or so. Recently, I've been experiencing RDP (particularly) disconnects to remote clients. The majority of the clients are v2.x but there are few 1.6 clients in the mix that I haven't had a chance to upgrade.

The remote clients are typically Windows servers that I connect to for remote support issues. Therefore there is rarely more than one concurrent user even thought I might have 20 NR clients live at any moment. The only data transfer other than NR system traffic is RDP and the occasional VNC but, again, there is never more than one or two (even more rare) concurrent users.

Every 30 seconds to a minute or so, my RDP sessions will freeze for 10 seconds or so and then reconnect regardless of whether I'm connecting to a high bandwidth site or a relatively low bandwidth site. I could always throw more system resources at the server but I figure that it makes sense to start here before guessing at solutions.

What info should I post here for troubleshooting purposes?

Thanks,

Matt

Post subject: Re: Neorouter Pro 2.4 disconnect/reconnect issues
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 am 

Hi Matty-CT,

Thanks for your post.

Firstly we need to determine if it's a NR VPN connection level issue or the application level issue. Based on your description, it's more like an application level issue, i.e. RDP/terminal server, as you said VNC works much better. To prove it, please go to the machine that the issue happens often, from there ping the target machine. (assume the firewall doesn't block ICMP echo message) Keep the ping running, reproduce the RDP issue. If ping doesn't lost message while RDP lost connection, it should be some issue with RDP app. If both lost connection in the same time, please help collect the log file of NR client service and send it to us, so that we can help you to investigate it. (Regarding how to enable logging, please check out FAQ link)

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team