Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can log in to NR via local IP but not NR domain?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:15 pm 

I don't understand this, but for some reason, I'm not able to log into my NR server via the domain or public IP and my username/password as in the past. It's been a while since I've used NR, so I thought at first that maybe I've had some setting incorrect somewhere (I've had that issue in the past, where I had changed my static IP somewhere between and forgotten about it the next time I came back to using NR). But after a couple hours of troubleshooting and internet searching, I've got nothing.

I've got my port forwarded, and the online dashboard server checks out just fine, so the internet can see my server.

But on a whim after reading an old thread here, I decided to try using my local IP (LAN, not VLAN) in place of my domain name, and it signed me in.

But this won't do any good for my friend who's on his home network. How the heck do I get his computer to connect to my server if I can't even do it from the same computer running it?!

Post subject: Re: Can log in to NR via local IP but not NR domain?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm 

I looked through the config files to see if anything stuck out to me (I'm somewhat computer savvy but by no means a code monkey), and I noticed in one of the XML files that my old IP was listed rather than my new one. I tried editing it to match my new one, but it didn't get the client to work via the domain/public address. So I changed it back and checked on my current static local IP, and it looks like I'm ok to go back to what I had a couple years ago on my network, so I reset that.

It works now, so whatever was going on must have been somewhere in local server/client settings that I couldn't see from the online dashboard. As I said before, the server was up and running and visible to the internet, so I'm thinking something just kept making the client check for the wrong local IP or something. I don't know how all that works between the internet-visible thing and the client-login thing. But that doesn't help me if I ever DO need to change my local IP. Where can I find that setting so I can change my local IP if that ever becomes a necessity?