Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ip assignment error
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:04 pm 

(revised for clarity) My server also is running a client. It seems to be assigned 10.0.0.2 but does not appear in the client list. I have verified that I can ping and ssh to 10.0.0.2.

When a new computer attempts to join via the network browser or nrclientcmd, it gets various error commands -- eg "wrong user/password" or "cannot connect" with an error code. However, the new computer is added to the computer list with the ip 10.0.0.2. If I change the virtual ip address using the config browser, to an unused ip (say 10.0.0.5), the new computer can now join the LAN without any problems.

I'd like to clear this up so that my Neorouter server "knows" that the client on the same computer has been assigned 10.0.0.2 -- and it appears on the computer list -- and so that additional computers join at the first available ip (as used to be the case).

Not sure if this product is still active, though I have been using it for years. Background is, I had to create a new server as my main computer died. I put a server on a Win11 machine and it was working fine BUT it would crash and the only way I could seem to restart it was to reinstall. I would not want to be at a remote location and have the server crash -- my old server was completely I stable. i did not have any problems when I created the Win11 server, but the above problem occurred when I created a new server on another linux machne. System works, but the "ghost" 10.0.0.2 is weird and I can't connect a new computer without using config navigator to change the ip address of the newly created computer.

I am thinking I may be able to cure this by removing and reinstalling nrserver and nclient on the server computer. It seems possible that because nrservice was running when I installed the nrserver, a connection was immediately made but not documented correctly in the nrserver db.

But, that will be tedious, especially as Neorouter is "working", except for the ip assignment bug referred to above. :D