Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NeoRouter Server cannot be used at this time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:06 am 

Hello everybody,

I am trying to set up a VPN using NeoRouter connection server behind a NAT router. The NeoRouter Server is installed on Windows XP SP3 machine. Installation went OK and I registered a new domain. My NAT router has UPnP enabled and the NRServer.exe is listening on port 32976. When I test the server for connectivity using the link "http://www.neorouter.com/checkport.php", though, I get the following message:

"The address "77.85.xxx.xx:32976" is closed and the NeoRouter Server cannot be used at this time."

What is causing the problem?

In Windows Task Manager the Networking tab reports that NeoRouter connection speed is 10 Mbps. I am also using Hamachi and it runs at 100Mbps?

Any idea?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: NeoRouter Server cannot be used at this time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:27 am 

Hi rado,

It's recommended to use port forwarding. Some routers do not support UPnP properly. If the UPnP does not work when you
1.Set router's UPnP
2.Set Windows UPnP
3.Enabled NeoRouter UPnP in Configuration Explorer

please use port forwarding instead of UPnP.

The number given to the virtual adapter on Windows (10MB/s) has no effect on actual performance. It's a virtual adapter driver and its actual speed can be much faster. Same thing to either Hamachi or openvpn, no matter how big or small the number is, they are actually are same.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:36 am 

Hello kevinz,

Thanks for your reply. I apologize if my questions may seem silly, but for me asking them seems to be the only way to get around the problem.

Now, my router is a wireles Linksys WRT54G v5. uPnp is enabled and I believe to have forwarded the port properly to the pc running NR Server:
[img]"C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\YU_Admin\Desktop\PortForwarding.JPG"[/img]

I changed the startup type for SSDP service to automatic and in the advanced settings window of my Internet connection I added port 32976 for both TCP and UDP.
[img]"C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\YU_Admin\Desktop\NRPorts.JPG"[/img]

I restarted both the computer and the router.
The result is still the same - testing the domain from https://www.neorouter.com/Dashboard/domainstatus.aspx yields the same message.

Where do I go wrong?

Thanks.

Rado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:58 am 

Hi rado,

I'm glad to help you solve the problem. Let's narrow down the issue and find out the problem. Please follow the steps

1. Make sure the server is running on your machine.
Go to the computer on witch the nrserver is running, run Configuration Explorer, connect to [user name][password][127.0.0.1] see if you can log on.

If you can log on, go to the next step.

2. Forget about UPnP for now. NeoRouter support either port forwarding or UPnP, so you don't need to enable all of them. Let's try the port forwarding method, you can leave your UPnP settings for now or turn it off.

Go to your router's panel,

Fill in the boxes with
app start end protocol your pc IP enable
32976 32976 32976 TCP 192.168.1.xxxx [enable the check box]

It mean forwarding all inbound packets to 32976 to your local pc:32976. Just need tcp protocol.

3. After that, go to our Dashboard website and check the port status.

You don't need to restart neither computer nor router. It should work if it's set properly.

BTW, I suppose your router has a public IP assigned from your ISP. If not, you need to figure it out.

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:11 am 

Hello Kevinz,

Thank you for your efforts sorting out the problem.

That's exactly what I had done.
I connect to 127.0.0.1(localhost) alright. The only difference was that port forwarding was enabled for both TCP and UDP. I changed it to TCP only. My public IP address is dynamic, given by the ISP's DHCP server, and the Dashboard page correctly detects it and fills it in. Still the result is:

The address "79.100.98.71:32976" is closed and the NeoRouter Server cannot be used at this time!

I tried to insert a picture similar to the one you sent, but obviously did not do it the right way, so it didn't appear in my post.

Kind regards,
Rado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:01 am 

Hi rado,

From what you have described, I would say everything is fine, you have not missed anything. To confirm with you about your public IP, check out here: http://www.neorouter.com/ip.php, I beleieve the IP should be the same in the dashboard, right?

Now it seems the router Linksys WRT54G v5 may not be setup properly.

To verify this, we can test a different service instead of neorouter.

Can you
1. setup the portforwarding to your computer's tcp/3396 (windows remote desktop), if it's running; or you can choose any other server (21, 80) to test.
2. go to http://www.neorouter.com/checkport.php, enter your public ip and the port number to test. Or simply telnet [ip] [port]

If you get the same results, I think you can try couple of things -

1. Remove the Pref DNS Server: 192.168.1.1 and see if there is any difference...
2. Try Port Triggering, instead of Port Forwarding...No static/fixed ip required when you do port triggering...
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_triggering/Linksys/WRT54G/Xwis.htm
3. Reset and then re-configure the router...

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Post subject: If I may get into this thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:48 pm 

I get this message too. I have never tried configuring any kind of VPN before. So on the port range forward, the host is is to be my computer's ip address, correct? So if my wlan ip host id is .101, and I want to connect to wlan I put this in the ip address box?

Something big that I'm just not getting.

Also, I am using it on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, so is there a configuration explorer for this, where I can follow these instructions?

Where do I find the uPnP configuration on the router config page (or is this Configuration Explorer, ignore above question if it is) I am also using Linksys, but WRT54GS v7.2.08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:54 pm 

Hi edcompsci,

NR server requires an opening tcp port to the Internet, so that NR clients can connect to it. Generally this can be done by setting up the port forwarding in the router. In the setting, you may specify the private IP of the computer in your home LAN, instead of the WAN IP.

[Internet] -- {Router [public ip]<--port mapping--> [private ip]} -- {your computer}

NR support Linux, including Ubuntu. Please a choose proper edition. If you use NRFree, you can run the web-based Configuration Explorer (see the download website); or you may want to run the Windows version Configuration Explorer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:46 pm 

kevinz wrote:
Hi edcompsci,

NR server requires an opening tcp port to the Internet, so that NR clients can connect to it. Generally this can be done by setting up the port forwarding in the router. In the setting, you may specify the private IP of the computer in your home LAN, instead of the WAN IP.

[Internet] -- {Router [public ip]<--port mapping--> [private ip]} -- {your computer}

NR support Linux, including Ubuntu. Please a choose proper edition. If you use NRFree, you can run the web-based Configuration Explorer (see the download website); or you may want to run the Windows version Configuration Explorer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Ok yeah that makes perfect sense now. Thanks... wait no I wasn't using a wan ip. Please see the attached pictures.

Attachments:
File comment: my router port forwarding configuration
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png [ 45.95 KiB | Viewed 26792 times ]
File comment: from the online tool
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png [ 30.53 KiB | Viewed 26634 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:37 am 

Hi edcompsci,

You may want to mapping port 32976/tcp and do not use 32975/tcp, which is used by NR client.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team