Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can't get Neorouter server to work properly
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:47 pm 

I have comcast cable service with a smc8014 gateway modem. I have a sbs2003 server network. The dhcp is on the gateway modem. The server address is 10.1.10.10. The gateway is 10.1.10.1. The computers on the network have manually setup ip addresses. I tried port forwarding the gateway port 32796. It asked for an ip address and I used 10.1.10.86 which is in my DHCP range.
When I try to enter the neorouter network explorer nothing happens

No matter what I try I get the following message when I check the dashboard.

The address "76.122.158.244:32976" is closed and the NeoRouter Server cannot be used at this time. This is the correct public IP address.

Please help,

Gordon

Post subject: Re: Can't get Neorouter server to work properly
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:32 am 

Hi dentabyte,

Thanks for trying NeoRouter. It looks like your either your port forwarding is not set properly or your router has "media hairpin feature" issue.

You can try this:

1.Go to the computer NR installed, run the Configuration Explorer and log on to the local server with:
user name: created when you install the NR server
password:
log on to: 127.0.0.1

If you can sign in, your server has been installed properly and go to the next step; if not, please check our the nrserver process and make sure the Neorouter Server service is running.

2.You can try to do a port forward to another service instead of NeoRouter server tcp/32976. For example, you can try to setup your router to forward port 3389 (RDP) to any of your computers see if it works, then use the similar method to forward port 32976 to your NR server. (By default, NR server will open the Windows firewall automatically, you can double check it too, just make sure the NR server can accept connections coming to its listening port)

3.To verify the "media hairpin feature" issue
Once the port forward for NR server is setup properly, you can check the status from our "Dashboard" and it should be success. Now, you can run the Configuration Explorer and log on to your public IP address of your router. It should work too. Then you can try to log on to the NR domain name, if it does not work, your router may have the "media hairpin feature" issue, it means you can use the NR domain name to log on from any computer outside your home LAN, but have to use the public IP or local IP of the NR server to log on from the computer inside your home LAN.
(There are a lot of posts in the forum discussing about this)

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Post subject: Follow up Can't get Neorouter server to work properly
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:57 pm 

Ok, I found a mistake I made. After changing the port forwarding to the IP address of the office computer that was running NR Server, I was able to connect to see the Server on the other computers. On the office network computers I had to sign in with the private IP address. On the remote computer I was able to use the Neorouter assigned domain name. This makes me believe I have a gateway modem without the hairpin feature. However, I cannot ping other computers or the server either on the office computers or the remote computers in either direction. Also, the button to bring up shared folders on another computer doesn't function.

What am I doing wrong now. The main function that I would like to accomplish is being able to back up my office computers at home.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:57 pm 

Good news! Now please check if your NR client gets assigned a virtual IP address by running "ipconfig" command. By default, you will see a NeoRouter virtual adapter gets assigned a IP 10.0.0.x. If both sides are set properly, please check if your Windows firewall turn on the ICMP echo and File and Printer sharing options.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:33 am 

Sorry for my incompetence. I still don't know what is wrong. For clarification, I have a small network with an Small Business Server 2003. Its Static IP Address is 10.1.10.10. It is the DNS server but doesn't handle DHCP. The 5 computers on the office network have static IP addresses in the range of 10.1.10.10-10.1.10.99. The Gateway router has an address of 10.1.10.1 and it has DHCP setup from 10.1.10.10-10.1.10.99 in the firewall settings even though the computers have static IP addresses. Each computer adapter lists 10.1.10.1 as the default gateway and 10.1.10.10 as the primary DNS server. The gateway router has a port forward listing of 10.1.10.10 with a port of 32976.
I installed NR server on the sbs 2003 computer. All the computers can now find the NRserver, but none of the computers can ping each other. My home computer has the same issue. They have been assigned Ip addresses by neorouter that don't match their static IP addresses albeit being in the same range 10.1.10.xx. They are not in the range 10.0.0.x.
is this the issue? Are the dhcp ranges supposed to be the same? Should the computers have both an actual static and a virtual dynamic IP address?

I can't seem to find where the ICMP and files haring options are on the SBS server but I doubt if this is the problem because I have file sharing on my regular network just fine.

I have tried disabling my antivirus software which is ESET NOD 32 but this hasn't made a difference.

Thanks,
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:56 pm 

Can you post ifconfig /all or send an email to support@neorouter.com?

It should like this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-54-28-89
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:30:43 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 25, 2009 7:30:43 AM

Ethernet adapter NeoRouter Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NeoRouter Virtual Network Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-D4-0B-E2-3C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

If you didn't see the 10.0.0.x IP or NeoRouter Connection, it means you didn't install it properly.

And in the Windows Control Pannel -> Network Connections, you should see "NeoRouter Connection" too.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:21 pm 

THanks for all your help. I finally found the problem. I had set a static IP on the Neorouter connection earlier while struggling with other issues. Once I eliminated this and set it back to automatic. Everything began to work. I know have the IP of 10.0.0.1 and am able to connect between all of the computers. You have made my evening.

Thanks again,
Gordon