Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Optional startup for Laptops
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 am 

I have recently started using NeoRouter and am quite impressed with the functionality. I have been a user of Hamachi, Leaf Networks and a few others, but NeoRouter concepts give me the best level of control.

I am using a point to site setup with laptops as remote client of my home network.

I am having some difficulties on both my MacBook Pro and a Windows 7 laptop when I am actually within my home network, as all my local traffic is routed through the gateway computer over the network bridge. This causes me a number of problems, including the fact the gateway is bridging to a slower 100 MBit/s network card, rather than through its Gigabit LAN interface.

Is there any way I can setup Neorouter client in such a way that it won't start the tap interface automatically? The way it is setup now, the interface is automatically configured and it overrides my LAN address ranges. Worst yet, if I don't connect NeoRouter, I simply lose connectivity to all local addresses, even when in the local network.

Please keep in mind that this is a scenario for both Mac OS and Windows 7 (x64).

I hope I have been able to explain my issue and I will be glad to clarify and provide examples if required.

Post subject: Re: Optional startup for Laptops
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:31 am 

Hi fabianods,

Is there any specific reason why need to use the point-to-site structure? If you just have a couple of machines, it would be more efficient and convenient for you to setup a mesh network, i.e. install NR client on each computer so that they can not only communicate each other directly, but also possible to filter useless packets and setup ACL controls.

Btw, when you use the point-to-site structure, the settings affect the router table, which may cause the current issue you have. You may want to adjust it to make sure your main network adapter is the default interface.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team