Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Print to remote printer ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:41 am 

I use NeoRouter to connect from my work computer (Windows XP) to my home network. This allows me to e.g. Remote Desktop to my home server, or to copy files back/forth between work and home.

I now wondered whether I could use my home printer to print from work. My printer is already attached to the home server and is Shared, such that all my home computers can print to the printer.

I however can't figure out how to also see this printer from my work computer, such that I can print to it. From what I saw on the forums this should also be possible, but I can't find how to set that up.

Edit: one thing I tried is to go into the Printers config of XP and do Add Printer and then add \\10.22.9.1\Printer where 10.22.9.1 is the IP address that is used when doing Remote Desktop to my home server, and Printer is the name of the printer at home. But this does not work. In fact, XP doesn't seem to find anything on 10.22.9.1, e.g. can't ping it either.

Post subject: Re: Print to remote printer ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:48 am 

Hi Neophite,

You can use the remote printer for sure. Take a look at this:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 57001.aspx

Use the virtual IP of the remote computer that shares the printer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:50 am 

The Windows link you provide is simply how to setup a shared printer, and that's stuff I'm familiar with already. As mentioned I have my home server hosting the printer and have it shared all over my home network for all client computers to print.

The problem is the 'virtual IP' piece. I thought it would be 10.22.9.1 as that is the address that Remote Desktop shows when I connect to my home server from work. But the address is just not routing through NeoRouter. This is somehow expected as NeoRouter does not create a virtual network interface AFAIK. I checked the Windows routing table ('route print') and it's also clear there that 10.22.9.1 is not routed in a special way to tunnel it through the NeoRouter link. A traceroute is showing the same thing, it's just routed through my company's network.

A different indication of this problem is if I manually open Remote Desktop and go to 10.22.9.1. Then also, RDP cannot connect. But when I launch RDP from within the NeoRouter Network Viewer, I do get a connection to my home server, with the title bar of the window showing 10.22.9.1 as the remote computer. Weird enough, I can't see the RDP in netstat either (it's supposed to be port 3389).

Again, all the above is what I expect to be the behavior anyway, as NeoRouter is not a true VPN AFAIK because it's not creating a virtual network interface and modifying the routing tables accordingly. I've always understood NeoRouter more being a TCP tunnel similar to how you would tunnel protocols through an SSH connection. Only the RDP thing doesn't make sense in that respect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:01 am 

Hi Neophite,

NR Viewer is different from the NR standard client, which uses the NR virtual adapter.

Unlike standard version, when using NR viewer, all applications should be run from it so that it can handle the connections. Or those applications cannot find NR virtual network. So you have to run RDP from NR viewer and you cannot access the shared printers from your computer directly.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:56 am 

Ok thanks. The missing link is indeed that I was (have to) running the NeoRouter-in-a-box from a USB stick. We can't install software ourselves on our corporate machines which is why I had to resort to that alternative.
So I guess I'm out of luck as far as remote printing goes.