Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: We IOS users NEED a NeoRouter Client TOO
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:37 am 

Hi, i'm a sysadm, a technology fan, a linux user, an iphone believer...
I wonder why there's no iphone/ipad neorouter client yet, android market is easier to attack maybe, but you're missing a large base of potential users with the lack of neorouter for ios...
Please speed up developing it, we really need it.
Thanks a lot.
Roberto.

Post subject: Re: We IOS users NEED a NeoRouter Client TOO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:56 am 

Apps don't have low level enough access to the OS to do this.
It's the same reason that OpenVPN doesn't have a non-jailbroken client for IPhone. So until that changes...

I don't see a lot of demand for a neorouter IOS version that requires devices to be jailbroken. Do you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 pm 

As someone who is NOT a fan of apple products AT ALL, I do want to say that this is not a valid answer. OpenVPN creates an actual TUN/TAP interface, which is why, on Android, it requires root, and also why it requires jailbreaking on iOS. By comparison, the NR Android client does NOT create any new interface. Rather, it simply adds a route on a localhost port and forwards that to one of the other systems on your NR network. To this extent, the NR Android client isn't even a full client itself, but the odds that anyone wants to access something on the Android system itself are pretty low anyway, so that's alright.

The issue here is indeed a result of the restrictiveness of iOS, but it isn't the same. That is, simply creating a new IPv4/TCP traffic route rule is allowed without root on android, whereas on iOS, this cannot be done without root, i.e. jailbreaking. So yes, this is as a direct result of the restrictiveness of iOS, but it's not a comparable issue to using OpenVPN because OpenVPN requires root on either platform, whereas a simple port forward can be done on Android without root, and on iOS it can't.

To that extent your point is well taken - the market for jailbroken iPhones that also use VPN is pretty small. Most genuinely "tech-savy" people use Android rather than iOS for exactly this reason - beyond the GUI, Android is just a superior system, period. And the normal "end user" has little use for a VPN, so there ya go. The market just isn't there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 am 

We have a new sales guys starting and I want him to be able to access our systems via his laptop or his Android phone.

What simple VPN system could you recommend? Software only or hardware too?

(In the past we used the free Neorouter software for the laptop only but it was a little hit & miss!).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm 

pritisinghip wrote:
We have a new sales guys starting and I want him to be able to access our systems via his laptop or his Android phone.

What simple VPN system could you recommend? Software only or hardware too?

(In the past we used the free Neorouter software for the laptop only but it was a little hit & miss!).

Maybe you want to try zerotier? it's very easy to set up and its client is open-source. I was able to compile zt clients for my NAS and wireless router (both don't have neorouter support) and they are working pretty well.

I still like the idea of being able to run my own neorouter server... but sadly neorouter hasn't been very stable recently.