Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Autocreation of accounts
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:06 am 

What do u think about autocreation of accounts?
For example it may be something like checkbox named "Enable autocreation of accounts" in Configuration Explorer, and when it's checked (autocreation enabled) - users may log on to server with their own new User names and passwords which would be automatically created on the server.
At least it would be faster to integrate NeoRouter in ur office with this function :geek:

Last edited by Kloz_Klaud on Fri May 29, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Autocreation of accounts
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:56 am 

Hi Kloz_Klaud,
I tell you what I think about autocreation of accont:
for me it's very unsafe, I prefer be the only admin in VPN and give to my users theirs accounts with the limitations of the case and never tell to anyone the right login to Configuration Explorer.

It's possible to create some accounts wich everybody in VPN knows, with limited rights, for this pourpose (to quikly add a new user to VPN). With that solution you can personalise the account after and from your PC, with vnc or similar solutions, without let the user knows the password.

Excusme for the replay but I really wont a strong VPN solution with neorouter. Tnx for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:33 am 

pippo_lite wrote:
Hi Kloz_Klaud,
I tell you what I think about autocreation of accont:
for me it's very unsafe, I prefer be the only admin in VPN and give to my users theirs accounts with the limitations of the case and never tell to anyone the right login to Configuration Explorer.

It's possible to create some accounts wich everybody in VPN knows, with limited rights, for this pourpose (to quikly add a new user to VPN). With that solution you can personalise the account after and from your PC, with vnc or similar solutions, without let the user knows the password.

Excusme for the replay but I really wont a strong VPN solution with neorouter. Tnx for your suggestions.

Yeah, ofcourse u're right about unsafety, but for that reason I've suggested to make this option switchable. For example: u're come to office, make some accounts (may be even without letting users to know passwords), return to server, disable this option and then personalise those accounts.
Also, it would be great to make something like special rules/rights for all accounts, which was added automatically. With this feature u're even don't need to personalise every account separately. For example: while option "Enable autocreation of accounts" is enabled - all accounts which was added at this period are having those "special rules". Ofcourse "special rules" must be configured by urself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:20 am 

Kloz_Klaud wrote:
Also, it would be great to make something like special rules/rights for all accounts, which was added automatically. With this feature u're even don't need to personalise every account separately. For example: while option "Enable autocreation of accounts" is enabled - all accounts which was added at this period are having those "special rules". Ofcourse "special rules" must be configured by urself.

I'd like to have this future too. When I create users manually from Configuration Explorer I can set custom rules/rights but it's not convenient in case one man manages server and other/others deploy client software (without admin rights).
For security reasons all "autocreated" accounts must be with "special rights" (configured by myself beforehand). And this future can be implement with additional field in Network Explorer like "password for autocreation": only if password is correct then account will be created. And this password can be not one: each password (or key) can be assoсiated with custom set of "special rights".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:45 am 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Does your office use a domain controller? Will it solve the issue if we integrate with your domain controller and auto-create NR accounts for domain users?

What type of domain controller do you use?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:50 am 

I don't use DC yet. But integration with DC is interesting idea... In this case I've got a choiсe between two possible location of settings_rules_ACL:
a) NeoRouter (it just imports accounts and groups but manage them by self)
b) DC. In this case NR call the DC every time when users trying to communicate each other or connect to NR. So I can run NR server, link it to DC and later don't use Configuration Explorer at all. Just use DC interface.

In case B I have to create DC... It's not a problem for me but I'd like to use something freeware as DC to minimize TCO.