Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: User management.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:28 pm 

I'm really loving how awesome and minimal NR is! However, it is a bit TOO minimal in some areas; user management is an annoyance at best.

Unless I'm missing something, you have to create each and every NR account manually. I understand that in some situations, such as a personal or IT network, that is ideal. However, in almost any gaming/social/family/non-IT network, there are several users joining and leaving all the time. This is a hassle because the administrator has to make all the changes to make this work; nothing is automated. Users cannot even so much as change their name outside of renaming their PC, and the only way to join the network (so far as I've seen), is by having the administrator create an account for each and every person.

(I understand that you COULD create one account and let everyone log in with it, but what if someone is, put bluntly, being a total ass? You cant just delete that account, as that would take everyone else with him.)

It would greatly increase the simplicity and efficiency of many tasks if there was an easier way of managing users. It would be great if there was an OPTION to allow users to create their own account and choose their own name.

One way that could possibly be done:
A user connects to the NR network with whatever username and password they choose. When connecting to the network, it asks him for a network password. If he enters the right password, he he can create an account for the network. The accounts username and pass can be what he logged into the network with.

Also, it would be nice if you could kick/delete/or ban someone from the right-click menu.

Sorry about being so long winded, heh. I really like NR, but it feels like some things are missing, things that almost every other similar program has.
Thanks for reading :)

Post subject: Re: User management.
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 pm 

As for making this process semi-automated in the meantime, have you looked at the command line options for the server? I've only looked today on the linux server side, but it looks like you could add a user from command line. If this is the case, then you can easily prompt for the username and password, and script something to add that to your domain.