Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Client Port Switch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:43 pm 

First, this a really nice VPN solution. My compliments to the makers. I always felt uncomfortable using zero-config VPN packages that relied on routing through a third-party server. So the direct P2P presents a solution more suitable to me.

Unfortunately, where I work, the administrators are extremely strict about allowable ports, inbound and outbound. They will permit external http (80) and https (443) requests, but their firewalls block almost anything else a user may try to access remotely. You will understand, then, that a port like 32976 will not work in such a network.

I understand this default is useful for quick access by domain names. I also know enough to forward ports on my firewall and to change ports manually at the IP level. However, it would be nice if we can switch the default port client side and still use the domain names.

Post subject: Re: Client Port Switch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:51 pm 

Thanks for trying NeoRouter.

If my understanding is correct, you may want to change the server listening port to 80 or 443, so that you client can connect to it through the firewall.

Yes. You can do this. NeoRouter allows user to change the server listening port to any number. Check out here
http://www.neorouter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:18 pm 

That's true about the server. I'm not talking about the server, though, and I'm well aware of that thread. I used that to change the server port before I chose to post this request.

What about the CLIENT?

So far, the connection works only if I specify xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443 (ip address:port) directly into the client's domain. If I enter only the domain name into the client, no port, the client never finds the server. This tells me the client by default searches for 32976, unless a user overrides it the way I did.

What I would like to see is for the client to be able to enter the domain name, instead of the ip address, with the desired target port. That way I can avoid having to remember an ip address client side.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:53 am 

You can following the steps below:

0. You can ONLY change the listening port on Windows OS so far. The Linux version and in-a-box version will support the feature from the next release.

1. Go to the computer, on which the NeoRouter server is running, run the NeoRouter Configuration Explorer

2. Go to "Settings" tab

3. Click on the "Change Port..." button, change the port and click on "OK".

4. Click on "Restart" button or reboot your computer.

5. After last step, your domain has been associated with the new port number, so you have to change your port forwarding settings if need.

Now, whenever or wherever you log on to your NeoRouter domain name, it will solve the name and use your new port number automatically.

If you still have problem, please send an email to support@neorouter.com with your domain name. We will help you with it.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:56 pm 

Thank you.

I don't know why the domain name didn't work before with the new port. It is now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:53 pm 

What happens if the port that NeoRouter is using is not the same port that is public? For example: I have NeoRouter set up using its' default port but I set my router to port forward public port 80 to port 32976 on the machine that is running NeoRouter. The main reasons for doing this are that I need to access the server from within networks that do not allow traffic on port 32976 and because the machine that I have the NeoRouter server installed on provides services on our LAN using port 80. Is there any way to update the port settings for the registered name on your server in this scenario?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:40 pm 

Thanks for your inputs. The domain name would not be able to work properly if you put the NeoRouter server behind a NAT but open another port for it. But your clients can still use IP:port to get access to the server.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team