Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: An error occured while install NeoRouter Explorer 0.9.8.1438
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:57 am 

I had 0.9.7 and it worked very well. This morning I tried to install 0.9.8 server and explorer. After it uninstalled the old version and started to install 0.9.8, a dialog box pop up saying "An error occured while install NeoRouter,...." when the status bar reached around 20%. After it rolled back. I rebooted my machine and did another try. Since this time the old version was reinstalled by last try, NeoRouter did a fresh install. This time the same box popped up when the status progress bar reached around 90%. Any help?

Thanks,

GG

Last edited by ggbal on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: An error occured while install NeoRouter 0.9.8.1438
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:03 pm 

I did another test. I went into %AppData%\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter. I found that the extracted installation exe there. So I run NeoRouter-0.9.8.1438-Release-setup.exe. This gave me the way to choose server only or explorer. So I installed the server first, it succeeded. And then I install explorer. When it tried to install nrtap, a dialog box popped up telling me that it is not passed windows certification. I clicked "continue anyway" button. The "An error occured..." box popped up right after this. So maybe nrtap is the problem? How do I get around it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:22 pm 

Just in case, you need this info.

I tried tapinstall find nrtap and tapinstall status nrtap. All saying no matching devices found.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:31 pm 

Here is the log file from windows. IT says The system cannot find the file specified. It must something was accidentally uninstalled when 0.9.7 was uninstalled. Now I can't even install 0.9.7 or 0.9.6 back anymore. They now all have the same problem. Please help.

#-198 Command line processed: "C:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\tapinstall.exe" install "C:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.inf" nrtap
#I060 Set selected driver.
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): nrtap
#I022 Found "nrtap" in c:\program files\zebranetworksystems\neorouter\driver\nrtap.inf; Device: "NeoRouter Virtual Network Interface"; Driver: "NeoRouter Virtual Network Interface"; Provider: "NeoRouter Inc."; Mfg: "NeoRouter Inc."; Section name: "nrtap.ndi".
#I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00000000 to 0x0000c000.
#I023 Actual install section: [nrtap.ndi]. Rank: 0x0000c000. Effective driver date: 09/01/2009.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [nrtap.ndi] in "c:\program files\zebranetworksystems\neorouter\driver\nrtap.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-124 Doing copy-only install of "ROOT\NET\0000".
#E366 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\program files\zebranetworksystems\neorouter\driver\nrtap.inf" for driver "NeoRouter Virtual Network Interface" will be installed (Policy=Warn, user said ok). Error 0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information.
#-024 Copying file "c:\program files\zebranetworksystems\neorouter\driver\nrtap.sys" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\nrtap.sys".
#E362 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\program files\zebranetworksystems\neorouter\driver\nrtap.inf" for driver "NeoRouter Virtual Network Interface" will be installed (Policy=Warn). Error 0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [nrtap.ndi.Interfaces] from "c:\program files\zebranetworksystems\neorouter\driver\nrtap.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "ROOT\NET\0000".
#E362 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\program files\zebranetworksystems\neorouter\driver\nrtap.inf" for driver "NeoRouter Virtual Network Interface" will be installed (Policy=Warn). Error 0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information.
#E122 Device install failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
#E154 Class installer failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
#I125 Installing NULL driver for "ROOT\NET\0000".
#E122 Device install failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Post subject: Re: An error occured while install NeoRouter Explorer 0.9.8.1438
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:11 pm 

Hi ggbal,

If you are using win2k, you need to reboot your computer everytime uninstall the driver (NeoRouter package), due to the win2k limitation; if you are using winxp+, you don't really need to reboot.

So far it's better to clean up everything before trying next installation.

1.Clean up nrtap driver
You need the tool X:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\tapinstall.exe to uninstall the nrtap driver. On win2k, winxp, x86 or x64 , the tapinstall.exe are different. So you need to find a proper copy of the tool, then go to cmd, type

tapinstall remove nrtap

You can also use "tapinstall find nrtap" to find if it's still there or use "tapinstall status nrtap" to check the drivers status.

2.Clean up service files
You can delete all files under X:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems, if you cannot, maybe some service processes are still running. Open the Windows Task Manager and kill the process nrservice.exe or nrserver.exe, then delete all files under the folder.

3.You can backup the folder X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter and delete it

Then we have a clean system. It's better to reboot before trying to install it again.

Sometimes, you have to reboot your computer after uninstalling, as when uninstalled a package, Windows mark it as deleted but actually not yet, instead of locked them. These information in the registry will be cleaned up after reboot.

Let us know if you still have problem. Please give your OS version, that would be helpful.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:31 pm 

My env. is XP SP3. However I found the problem is not anything specifically related to NeoRouter. I searched google and eventually figured out the cure. The cause is that somehow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce was deleted by some uninstaller. And then the tapinstall didn't like that. Therefore it reported that error. After I manually created that key, everything just runs fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:54 pm 

Hi,

I had the same neorouter install problem and the only thing that fixed it was creating the RunOnce registry entry that you refer to above.

My question is how did you figure this out? And what does RunOnce have to do with neorouter?

Thanks!

John