Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problem with Antivirus
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:24 am 

Hi, I have some questions that make me troubled...
1) why you don't are on Sourceforge as a freeware software?
2) why my AV said "generic W32 Trojan" in the heuristic analisis of the setup file?
3) what is the file named "CleanupSelf.exe" instead the setup file?
4) I test to install Neorouter only wit the file "NeoRouter-0.9.4.881-Release-setup.exe" that is in the generic setup file and all apparently work fine anywere (i just test inside a LAN), witout make the server domain (only use IP address). It is possible to use that method from wan to lan (obvoious making the portforward in the fisical router)?
Tnx a lot for your response, sorry for the bad English....
Filippo from Italy.

Post subject: Re: Problem with Antivirus
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:21 am 

Hi pippo_lite,

Thanks for trying NeoRouter.

1) why you don't are on Sourceforge as a freeware software?

NeoRouter is not a open source software and freeware != open source.

2) why my AV said "generic W32 Trojan" in the heuristic analisis of the setup file?

Can you give the name of your AV software and what's the definition of the "generic W32 Trojan"?
NeoRouter software have no spyware, no adware and no viruses.

3) what is the file named "CleanupSelf.exe" instead the setup file?

I think you mean the Portable version. "CleanupSelf.exe" is part of the portable version package. It's responsible for cleaning up files generated by NeoRouter when it quit, while setup file cannot do this.

NeoRouter portable version is designed for users who use NeoRouter in a public computer, on which you don't have permission to install any software and you don't want to leave any personal information, including network info, software info and so on. So user can feel free to download it and run whenever you need and to be comfortable when you quit, which can help you clean up everything, including the software self.

4) I test to install Neorouter only wit the file "NeoRouter-0.9.4.881-Release-setup.exe" that is in the generic setup file and all apparently work fine anywere (i just test inside a LAN), witout make the server domain (only use IP address). It is possible to use that method from wan to lan (obvoious making the portforward in the fisical router)?

Yes.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 am 

HI Kevinz, tnx for the very fast reply.
This is the report from my Kaspersky Internet Security 2009:
"05/03/2009 14.04.20 Non isolati: HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic E:\Downloads\NeoRouterSetupFull.exe/data0007 Ignorato dall'utente "
Only the CleanupSelf.exe seem to be affected, I think it'is for the actions rules of the exe file but this can make mistakes in people and trouble the installation of the client (or server, both) Neorouter.

For the last question I tried just now and not work, I can ping my public address from the other side but when I try to enter with client it freeze for 1 mn and not connect at all. I use UDP and I was tryed Hamachi instead this configuration, it works full green (opened TCP and UDP ports on both fisical routers). Of course I remove all from Hamachi and reboot, reboot after install client with Kaspersky deactivated. I try also to use administrative account in Neorouter, open UDP port for client.... TCP connection obtain same result.
Are you so gentle to help my more?
Tnx a lot. Best regards.
Filippo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:14 am 

Looks like your port forwarding didn't work properly. You may want to map the public port to the computer on which the NeoRouter server is running.

The Hamachi software you downloaded is just a client, that can work without port warfording, same does the NeoRouter client.

You can refer to our wiki or other threads in the forum to determine the the problem. You can also take your RDP service as an example to verify if your port forwarding setting is correct.

Let us know if you still have problem.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:42 pm 

Hi, you still not answer me for the problem with AV...

Other side: I have right port forwards, I have some services connecting a piece of SW on TCP on some other ports on the same server and all works fine. On the same server of Neorouter I've installed Logmein for remote access (it's good the log on at reboot, tryed also Neorouter but I need to log on Win and after log in Neorouter because start at reboot works but not log on client and not start UVNC). I go tomorrow to try to shut down Logmein on the server and will give you the result... anyway have you any suggestion to solve the problem that my client Win XP cant't reach the server (on XP to)?
Tnx a lot.
Best regards.
Filippo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 pm 

Please double-check your downloaded file NeoRouterSetupFull.exe by verifying the md5sum value published on our website, in case it's not the original file.

"Trojan.Win32.Generic" is not a virus type and to me it means three things:

1) When you recieve such a detection, care should be taken not to open or launch the file in question, as it may be malicious.

2) Because this is a “generic” (so to speak) detection, the file has not been 100% confirmed to be malware by the virus analysts (e.g. it has not yet been given a name), so there is a chance that the file is being mistakenly detected and it is not actually malicious.

3) The correct course of action would be to isolate the file and send it to the Kaspersky viruslab for analysis.

I'm really curious about it what type of virus does Kaspersky found, as Symantec AV software didn't say anything about it.

NeoRouter is running as a service, once your computer computer started and it shows up in your computer list, you can do remote access to it. UVNC can be configured as a service as well, so you don't really need to log on to it.

In the next release, NeoRouter will provide a new feature - auto sign in, with which user can log on to the UI automatically when he/she logs on to the Windows.

Coming up. Be patient.

thanks,
kevinz - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:39 am 

Please double-check your downloaded file NeoRouterSetupFull.exe by verifying the md5sum value published on our website, in case it's not the original file.
I tested it and it's OK
I do this:
unpack the downloaded file from your site with 7zip;
the extracted files are 3 + 1 folder with 2 plugins inside, 1 file is named "NeoRouter-0.9.4.881-Release-setup.exe" (is te setup file complete), 1 other is named "NeoRouterSetup.exe" and is the setup that download itself necessary component for installation, the third file is named "CleanupSelf.exe" and is inside of it Kaspersky detect the "Trojan.Win32.Generic" so I believe there is a chance that the file is being mistakenly detected and it is not actually malicious as you say to;
the plugins and the dll inside CleanupSelf.exe (I unpacked it to) seems be used for the wizard that help newbee to register a domain for use Neorouter.
So I find the CleanupSelf.exe in the portable version to with the file named CliViewer.exe that itself is useful for the connection.

I try right now to connect a client from WAN bat it still not work, try to sutdown AV, Firewall, Logmein, etc. , set the default port 32976 for the server and reconnect the clients in the LAN (it's OK) but from WAN still don't work. I have this config: 1 server in LAN with 3 clients (it's for the business SW witten in C that work on TCP connections), 1 client outside working in the first office and 3 clients working in other office in other city: all the machines are running Win XP pro and all work fine from about 1 year ago. Now I'm interested for developing a VPN for all, with different access right (tath is cool with Neorouter) for share some resources in principal office with the periferical offices.
The SW I use over TCP encript for itself all data, when I tested Hamachi was a little more performat but no more, Hamachi is to expensive for my needs (using e-mails is less efficiently bat now works like this) and OpenVpn too complex for the knowledges of all my employees.
Tnx for your time, I will be very gratefully if you can help me some more and will give you all test and results I make, perhaps help you in testing more environnements.
Best regards.
Filippo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:16 am 

Hi Filippo,

I didn't see any problem in your plan of 1 server + 3 clients. I should word if setup properly.

The only thing need to do is to setup your router properly so that it can open the NeoRouter server listening port to the Internet. We've been discussing a lot in our forum about it. You can refer to this link http://www.neorouter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82.

Or you can take any software, for example: terminal service or VNC, as an example to verify if your port forwarding method is working. If it works those software, simply use the same method to the NeoRouter.

Let us know, if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:01 am 

Hi, I post my fisical router configuration:
Impostazioni servizio Virtual Server

Name MAC-Address Local-IP L-port P-port Proto Stato

- 00:1E:8C:EC:04:29 192.168.1.12 6692 6692 TCP Abilitato
- 00:08:A1:A8:40:4D 192.168.1.11 9000 9000 TCP Disabilitato
- 00:08:A1:A8:40:4D 192.168.1.11 9500 9500 TCP Abilitato
- 00:1E:8C:EC:04:29 192.168.1.12 6695 6695 TCP Abilitato
- 00:08:A1:A8:40:4D 192.168.1.11 873 873 TCP Abilitato
- 00:1E:8C:EC:04:29 192.168.1.12 5902 5902 TCP Abilitato
- 00:1E:8C:EC:04:29 192.168.1.12 5500 5500 TCP Abilitato
- 00:08:A1:A8:40:4D 192.168.1.11 32976 32976 UDP Abilitato
- 00:08:A1:A8:40:4D 192.168.1.11 9700 9700 TCP Abilitato
- 00:08:A1:A8:40:4D 192.168.1.11 9000 9000 UDP Disabilitato
- 192.168.1.10 1194 1194 UDP Disabilitato
The General panel in Neorouter Configuration Explorer says:
Summary:
version 0.9.4.881
domain 192.168.1.11:32976
Network status:
Address 192.168.1.11
Port 32976
Status connected
With this config I work with remote clients in WAN, I set my public IP and my router redirect correctly on the server (you can see is 192.168.1.11).
Now my dubt is the domain that I set up during installation of the server, is the local IP of the PC with the server of Neorouter, like for my other SW installed: do you think is correct or I must set the public IP?
Tnx a lot for your suggestions.
Best regard.
Filippo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:49 am 

You may want to connect (log on to) your server's public IP or NeoRouter domain name if you defined.

Good luck,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team