Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: UDP and TCP ports
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:04 pm 

Hi, I don't know if it is a bug or not... but I want understand.
When I configure NR server with "client to client UDP connections", I forward ports in fisical router and I try to connect from a client in WAN (same settings) I can't establish connections... after I forward TCP ports without any other change it work.
So I changed config on all VPN with "client to client TCP..." and all work fine always. Obviously I restart all after any change but if I close TCP port forward still not work.
If it help my ADSL is 480 kbps in upload and 7040 kbps in download.
Tnx for any suggestion, tell me if i misundestending something.
(excuse me for my english, it's very bad...)
Best regards.
Filippo.

Post subject: Re: UDP and TCP ports
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:34 am 

Hi Filippo,

Opening a port(tcp) to the Internet is a prerequisite for a Server behind a NAT, which uses the port to talk with clients.

Connection types between clients can be UDP p2p, TCP p2p or relay mode. There is not needs to open any port for clients and it will not effect clients.

Clients try to use NAT-Traversal to penetrate firewall and create direct connections between clients. UDP p2p is the easiest way, TCP p2p is a little bit harder and relay mode works for any situations. Clients can also detect the network status if it's possible to create p2p in terms of your NAT type. If it fails to create p2p, it will go back to relay mode automatically.

Please refer to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

In your case, if you can make sure your routers do not set to "Symmetric NAT" or it IS "Symmetric NAT" but not very busy. You can use either UDP p2p or TCP p2p. The difference is UDP is fast but may lost packets or cause packets out of order sometimes. If your application over the VPN using a poor protocol (application level), UDP may cause it stop working. TCP p2p is stable but a little bit slow.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:02 am 

Hi KevinZ,
thank you for the explication... my mistake was to think that for the server I only need to open UDP port forward!
Now I understand that I was wrong and only need to forward TCP port from the router to the machine with NR server installed on.
I understand also that for my needs it's better to use TCP p2p because I print on the remote printer sometimes (it's faster than e-mail a PDF, in case need something to be printed after received in other office).
Tnx a lot for your work, it's very nice and usefully.
Best regards.
Filippo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:36 am 

Hi again, I just want to explain for somebody need this informations...
I try to set p2p TCP and p2p UDP from different clients at same time, all work fine anyway, so I can change only one client connections setting and I have no issues and still can see VPN and work fine.
The only issue is that on the client where you set p2p TCP it make browsing LAN slowly (not where is installed NR server, here work fine anyway), for make better performance you must disable "client for MS networks" in the properties of network card (or disable netbios in the advanced properties of TCP protocol).
If I'm wrong please correct me, if not I'm glad to help.
Tnx. Best regards.
Filippo.