Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Remote Desktop Login Causes NeoRouter to Drop
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 am 

I am logging in from a Windows Vista machine to a Windows XP Pro machine(on a domain)

The XP Pro Machine has symantec endpoint protection and windows firewall enabled(though I have added exceptions to the firewall for all exe's associated with NeoRouter). I can not disable these.

I can connect to the XP machine from the Vista machine using Hamachi, Social VPN, and Wipien without problems.
(I have uninstalled all of these programs from both machines now)

Here is exactly what happens, when I connect to the XP machine, I get the login screen.
I then login.
As soon as I login, my NR connection drops.(I have Ping open, so I can see).
It then times out, and disconnectes(sometimes it tries again, and as soon as the connection is re-established, it drops again).

This disconnection of NR does not occur when I login with other things, such as the Cisco VPN.

I can access shares, and ping and all that fun stuff, I bet VNC would work. However, as soon as I try to Remote Desktop, and choose to login, and only if I am doing so via NR, the connection drops.

The Server is on an ubuntu machine in my local network.

Please let me know if there is any more info I can provide, and of any solutions I can try.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Remote Desktop Login Causes NeoRouter to Drop
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:25 am 

Hi mugendai,

Thanks for your report. Can you try this?

On your WinXp, log off from any user, e.g. no one log on to the WinXp locally. Then go to the Vista and try to log on over NR.

If it still does not work, can you help collect the log file and send it to us?

Please refer to http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... og_file.3F see how to setup Log.ini file.

BTW, which NR version are you using?

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 am 

Though I can't do the test right this minute, I will do it once I have an opportunity to connect to my work PC from home(which unfortunately may not be till this evening)

I am using the free edition 0.9.9.1528[1]

Thank you very much for quick response and your excellent product.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:39 pm 

I tried logging in without anyone logged in. (This time from my laptop on my work network, running Kubuntu 9.10) And I had the same issue.

I am currently running the Windows version, so I am going to try the Windows 2K version.
(I know 2K and XP had different logon methods that Vista/Windows 7/2008)

If this doesn't work, I'll delve in to the logs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:10 pm 

I guess the 2K version is the same thing with CLI only.
I still had the same problem.

Let me try and get some log data for you guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:25 pm 

I sent you guys log files.

The RD login occured around 16:15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:43 am 

Hi mugendai,

Thanks for your log file and we are still investigating your issues. So far, I still cannot reproduce exactly same issue you have.

From your description it's more like an old issue related to the RDP (mstsc), that we come cross before. Some times, mstsc connect to a remote computer (someone logged in) and gives a black screen while doing logging in over NR, in the same time, the ping is timeout. Then mstsc closed and ping is recovered. If I logged off from the remote computer and try to do RD again, it works. After that, it always works no matter someone logged in or not.

After investigation, we noticed that mstsc may cache some remote computer information on the local computer. If I got access to a IP, for exmaple, 192.168.0.100, mstsc remembers it; later I apply the same IP to another computer and run mstsc, I MAY come cross the black screen and it can be solved by the method above. The ping timeout is caused by the terminal server freezes all sessions at the moment.

So, when you generate the log file, if you see more than one log files for nrservice, it means nrservice gets restarted or crashed or it's been working well at the background. From the log file you sent to me, I just see one file and didn't see any problem from the log.

Would you help to give another try? From your log, I know you are using a 192.168.x.x network IP address for NR virtual network. Can you change the NR IP range to a new one, that you never used before, for example: 172.16.12.x. The point is if you reuse some IP addresses, some software may cache them already. We'd better to make it clean so that can be easier to figure out the issue.

Btw, you can try to set the "client-to-client" type to the relay mode on the WinXP, it should work all the time.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 am 

I have sent a new log file using the new IP range.

Also, I am not sure how to change client to client mode.
I know there is a setting in NR Configuration Explorer. But doesn't that affect ALL clients connecting to the server?

Is there a way to set it only for certain clients? If so can you direct me to the wiki page, or give me a howto, or even better make a wiki page(in the case that there isn't one)?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Thanks,
-Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:12 pm 

I went ahead and used the setting from Configuration Explorer, and that seems to have changed it for just that one client.

I set the client that I am RDPing in to as relay through server, and indeed, that worked.

(I think I should note that my server and my desktop at home both go through the same router and Internet connection, however, the workstation goes through a standard NAT routed connection on that router, while the server has a static route with a different IP address, going through the same router)

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Thanks,
-Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:28 pm 

Hi mugendai,

Thanks for your report.

We are still investigating it. It may happen when using RD over the P2P connection on WinXp in some situations.

Your testing is very helpful. In v0.9.9 or older, the "client-to-client" connection type settings is in the Configuration Explorer -> Connection tab. In v0.9.10 or later, it's moved to the Network Explorer -> Connection menu item. It affects the NR client on the computer ONLY, not a global setting. But if one of the two peers of a connection is set to Relay mode, both of them will use Relay mode.

So, before we figure it out, you set the WinXp computer to the relay mode for now.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team