Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Virtual Network Interface driver problem on SBS 2008
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:37 am 

I'm having a problem with the neorouter virtual network interface driver after installation of neorouter pro version 1.0.0.1800 on Windows Small Business Server 2008. In device manager there's a yellow exclamation. If I look at the properties of the device, it says: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".

The network explorer will connect to my server running on another machine but I can't ping, RDP or file share in either direction. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, restarting the services on the client and the server, and rebooting. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Virtual Network Interface driver problem on SBS 2008
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:26 pm 

Can you try this?

1. Manually update the driver of the NeoRouter Virtual Adapter with the driver under the installation folder "...ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver".

2. If it does not work, try this.
If you have another x64 machine (win7), please install NR Client on it and copy the driver files from the main installation folder to the SBS2008 machine. Then update the driver of the NeoRouter Virtual Adapter with the driver you copied over.

Let us know if you still have the issue.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:30 pm 

I tried both of your suggestions but unfortunately they did not work. Either way I get the error shown below in the first screen shot.

I also tried "tapinstall find nrtap" and "tapinstall status nrtap" but found no matches.

Lastly, I tried disabling UAC, rebooted and tried to install again with no luck. Now it's telling me there's an error every time I try to run setup. See the second screen shot and the log file below.

There are a couple of other posts about SBS 2008 that don't seem to be resolved.
here and here. Is there anything else I could try?

Error when manually updating driver:

New problem trying to install:

CreateDirectory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter" created
CreateDirectory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver" created
File: overwriteflag=0, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="nrtap.inf"
File: wrote 2831 to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.inf"
File: overwriteflag=0, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="tapinstall.exe"
File: wrote 67072 to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\tapinstall.exe"
File: overwriteflag=0, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="nrtap.sys"
File: wrote 29696 to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.sys"
File: overwriteflag=0, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="nrtap.cat"
File: wrote 9089 to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.cat"
Jump: 710
Call: 1398
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\nsExec.dll"
File: skipped: "C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\nsExec.dll" (overwriteflag=1)
Call: 86
detailprint: Install nrtap
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0, name="C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\nsExec.dll"
File: skipped: "C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\nsExec.dll" (overwriteflag=1)
MessageBox: 0,"An error occurred while install NeoRouter. The installer will roll back to original status and quit."
detailprint: Remove nrtap
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0, name="C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\nsExec.dll"
detailprint: Unintall Files
CreateDirectory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems" (1)
RMDir: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems"
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.cat")
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.inf")
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.sys")
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\tapinstall.exe")
RMDir: RemoveDirectory("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\")
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\install.log")
Delete: DeleteFile failed("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\install.log")
RMDir: RemoveDirectory("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\")
RMDir: RemoveDirectory failed("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\")
RMDir: RemoveDirectory("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\")
RMDir: RemoveDirectory failed("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\")
RMDir: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems"
RMDir: RemoveDirectory("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\")
RMDir: RemoveDirectory failed("C:\Program Files (x86)\ZebraNetworkSystems\")
detailprint: Rollback
Sleep(1000)
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\KillProcDLL.dll")
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\nsExec.dll")
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\SimpleSC.dll")
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\SvrCfgDLL.dll")
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\System.dll")
RMDir: RemoveDirectory("C:\Users\sshriver\AppData\Local\Temp\nswD44F.tmp\")

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:07 am 

Hi scottshriver,

Thanks for your report. We will try to repro it and get back to you soon.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:10 am 

Has anybody found a solution for this problem?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:59 pm 

I had what appears to be a similar problem. XP and Server 2003 see a virtual network driver the same as a physical one and require a reboot (even though it's not necessary with NeoRouter), therefore those OSs look for a RunOnceEx key and if they don't find it the install of the driver will fail. In my case, some install program had deleted the RunOnceEx key so NeoRouter wouldn't install the first time I tried (months later I wanted NeoRouter badly enough to find the solution to my install problem -- add a RunOnceEx key).

Here's something about other Windows OSs, found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310593:

Quote:
In Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. the RunOnceEx registry key does not exist by default:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx key

You might have to create a RunOnceEx key in the registry (read further in the Microsoft link above), but I haven't checked this out for other than XP and 2003...my solution might only be an XP thing, and not be your problem at all.

Disclaimer: I'm just a happy NeoRouter user trying to help other users.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 am 

Thank you OregonJohn! Finally, it's working. I'm not 100% sure if it was your solution or the latest version of NeoRouter that fixed it. Could be both. Anyway, here are the steps that worked for me on Windows SBS Server 2008 (with SP2) in case someone else is having similar problems. I installed NeoRouter free version 1.3.0.2526.

1. Log on to the server as an administrator.
2. Before each installation attempt, add the RunOnceEx key to the registry. You could do this manually but I created a registry script. To do so, create a text file called "RunBeforeNeoRouterInstall.reg" and add the following text to the file (don't copy the "Code:" part). Once the file is created, just double-click it and follow the prompts to merge it with the registry.

All this script does is create the RunOnceEx key with a command to launch notepad on the next restart. After windows restarts, notepad will be executed once and the registry key will be removed.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx]
"TITLE"="Installing Stuff"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1]
@="Notepad"
"1"="C:\\WINDOWS\\notepad.exe"

3. Run the NeoRouter setup. Install both the client and the server (choosing an existing domain). I tried installing just the client and it would not connect to my domain. I had to install the server to get it to connect even though I will be managing users from another computer.
4. Restart the server. The NeoRouter install doesn't prompt for a computer restart, but I restarted the server anyway because I saw other posts in the forum suggesting it was necessary.