Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NR 1.1.1.950 client service seems to attempt starting twice
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:30 pm 

First, thanks for adding "Minimize on Startup". That made my day.

However, since I installed 1.1.1.950, I seem to have a new problem.

I have NeoRouter server 1.1.1.950 installed on a Tomato router (the "NR in a box" version downloadable from your site). I also have a laptop and a desktop computer as clients (also 1.1.1.950). I do not use any domain, just IP connection. NeoRouter clients are set to start at Windows XP (SP3 Pro) bootup.

I noticed that with 1.1.1.950, the client computers, the bootup seems to have a delay. In Event Viewer, I see the following:

First, NeoRouter Client Service, Information, Event ID 1 (that seems to be OK).

Secondly, now always, 1 second later: NeoRouter Client Service, Error, Event ID 10 (description not found, message: "An instance of the service is already running., 1056).

That seems to be accompanied by a general Windows startup delay with svchost using around 50% CPU for 1-2 minutes. I noticed it because that also delays my automatic login to another VPN server.

The error message appears in the Event Viewer of both of my client computers. Setting the "hair-pin" option changes nothing (I experimented with not using it and with using it; the results are same). Both client computers can connect to the server successfully and the only problem seems to be the Windows startup delay + the error in the Event Viewer. In NR 1.1.0 I did not have that problem.

It is also true that my dedicated NeoRouter server (Tomato) is behind two other routers (I cannot avoid that: I need all three routers) but that does not prevent (and has not prevented) the use of NR. I can ping other computers, see the files on other computers etc.

Hence it seems that for some reason, NeoRouter Network Explorer wants to connect twice or the NeoRouter Client service wants to start twice.

It may be important to note that when I do not set NeoRouter Network Explorer to start at Windows startup, no such error appears in Event Viewer. Therefore, the reason may be that the NeoRouter client service is still starting while NeoRouter Network Explorer attempts to connect it from Windows startup. Presently I resolved this by writing an AHK script which sleeps 60 seconds and then starts the Network Explorer (and by this, I get no startup delay or error in Event Viewer, but this is just a workaround, not a solution).

What could be causing this and is there a solution to get rid of the Windows startup delay?