Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unable to connect to neorouter in a box
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:07 am 

I am trying to use the neorouter in-a-box version on my WRT54G router. I have it installed but when I try to connect to the server, wither form the WAN or LAN, I get the following error “Signin failed because connection to server cannot be established. [hr=0x80072749]

Trouble shooting done:
I have disabled connection logging
I can SSH and when I do a TOP on the router I see 6 /user/bin/nrserver services running. I am also able to telnet on port 32976
The ports are open on the router and when I do a check the server status, it tells me that the server is up and running and ports are open. They are also setup to allow both TCP and UDP traffic.
I am also able to connect using the configuration explorer.
I have also tried to connect using the LAN IP, WAN IP and the Domain name. All unsuccessful.

Post subject: Re: Unable to connect to neorouter in a box
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:27 pm 

Hi origtopcat,

This is a OS level error code. 0x80072749 indicates that a request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket is not connected. It seems like the client cannot create the connection to the server.

Can you try to run the Configuration Explorer to log on to the server? If you still get the same error, can you create a log for the Configuration Explorer and send it to us?

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:43 pm 

Hello Kevinz
I am able to login to the Configuration Explorer, after a minute or so it disconnects with the error: Signin failed because connection to server cannot be established. [hr=0x80072749]

While I was connected, I was able to see that it registered the two computers I have been trying to connect, however there status is offline, despite the fact that I had one of them trying to sign in at the time.

I have attached a copy of a log file for one of the computers I am trying to connect with.

Attachments:
NRClient_20100918_135925.log [19.06 KiB]
Downloaded 1111 times

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:00 pm 

HI origtopcat,

Can you provide the log file for Configuration Explorer? In the Netwrok Explorer, enable the log, then start Configuration Explorer, reproduce the issue. Then send the log file to support@neorouter.com.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:35 am 

HI origtopcat,

Thanks for your email. I investigated your log file. Obviously, the client software gets closed by the server and reports the error code -2147014842 (0x80072746).

There would be several reasons causing the issue:

Since you are using WRT54G, I assume you install the OpenWrt and in-a-box for Kamikaze.

1. Out of memory
If you use Kamikaze, please run top to monitor the memory usage. WRT54G has only 16MB memory.

2. Out of storage
WRT54G has 4MB flash only. NRServer needs some space to store the database and it may need a little bit more while searching the db. The size of the db is depending on how many computers and users you add to the system. Please check the space

3. Firewall
You may want to open the ports in iptables following the guide on our Wiki or manual

If you use the Tomato version, I'm afraid the space would not be enough on WRT54G.

As NeoRouter gets bigger and bigger, it would be better to install it on a computer or a router having more memory. As we tested, ASUS WL-500gp is pretty good, ASUS WL-520gu works with a few computers. WRT54G/GL gives users less space than WL520gu and some users may have problem when installing too may apps.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:53 pm 

According to my experience, before configuring NeoRouter on Tomato / WRT54GL, the user should disable bandwidth monitoring (from Tomato - Administration - Bandwidth Monitoring) and must:

(1) add "/usr/bin/nrserver.sh start" (without quotes) to Tomato - Administration - Scripts - WAN Up;

(2) using the Tomato interface (Tomato - Administration - JFFS2), mount the JFFS2 filesystem (if you have still problems logging in, try formatting the JFFS2 partition, too) and reboot the router;

after the reboot check that the JFFS2 partition is indeed mounted;

(3) use the Tomato router's username and password for the first login to NeoRouter Configuration Explorer.

Don't know if you did that but maybe this would help. I can confirm that nrserver 1.1.3.2250 in a box (Tomato) works with Linksys WRT54GL.

Quote:
As NeoRouter gets bigger and bigger, it would be better to install it on a computer or a router having more memory.

Wouldn't that contradict with the statement in the release notes for 1.1.3.2250, which (see http://www.neorouter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4378) reads: "What's new: *Optimized server core to support big workload and use less resources. [...]"

I personally noticed that although NeoRouter 1.1.3.2250 works with WRT54GL/Tomato1.25, it uses roughly 300 KB more memory than the previous version I had (1.1.1.1950): before, I normally had 1564KB free after reboot, now I have 1244KB. Therefore, it seems somewhat contradictory that you advertise the use of less resources for the new version.