Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Severe CPU usage problems with neorouter server at startup.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:17 pm 

Neorouter seems to have a serious problem of eating alot of cpu power when many clients are trying to connect to the server at once.

For example Neorouter server v 1.30 is with 80 clients not able to run on a dual core atom 330 any longer. Because the connection process when the server starts overwhelms the cpu completely.

At any time when cpu usage from other processes gets high it also looses connection of all connected clients and has to restart connection process even on a C2D 2.13ghz processor.

It barely works now on the C2D system but if i add more clients it will probably stop working on this system too. Because the cpu usage is insanely high and if i have other stuff in the background like watching tv and then try to start neorouter server there is not enough cpu power to get all clients to connect and it seems neorouter server shuts down and then tries to restart the connection process without success until cpu usage is lowered.

The atom system is a XP based system and the C2D is a win7 64bit system.

Is there any work being done to optimize and stabilise the connection process and retaining connections?

Post subject: Re: Severe CPU usage problems with neorouter server at startup.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 pm 

hi fusion,

Please add the following setting to Feature.ini on nrserver host. It turns on the new protocol we have been developing, which is very fast and can handle thousands of concurrent connections. Please note that the new protocol is not compatible with older builds. Also it is not finalized, so we may make breaking changes.

Code:
[Default]
ProtocolVersion=2

We plan to turn on the new protocol by default in the next few months when we complete our next major release.

Please also take a look at the performance tuning guide:
http://download.neorouter.com/Documents ... ing_en.pdf

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:59 pm 

Ok thanks for the information.

I tried running v2 protocol but the result was that it was even more unstable it seemed to connect all clients and then disconnect them all and then connect again in a never ending loop and the cpu usage was 100% on both cores.

Would be nice to be able to limit maybe that only 10 clients can connect in at the same time or maybe even less.

What was the first version of the neorouter client that uses v2 protocol?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:39 pm 

hi fusion,

v2 protocol is supported (but off by default) on Free 1.3+ and Pro 1.2+. So please upgrade all clients before turning on the new protocol on nrserver.
Could you help gather the nrserver log and send it to support@neorouter.com?

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 pm 

hi fusion,

We just released NR Free 1.5.0. In this release we have added logic to NeoRouter server to throttle incoming client connections and it should fix the issue you had experienced.

The throttle logic works with V1 or V2 protocols. By default, it allows 10 clients to be in the "connecting + authenticating" state. More connections will be rejected, and NR client will retry connecting to the server in a few seconds. Admin can also adjust the throttle limit using 'ServerAuthBacklog' value in Feature.ini (http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... i_template).

Please give it a try and let us know if it works.

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 am 

Hello yes i tried it and it seemed to work with lower cpu usage on the surface. But what i noticed is that if i used the new 1.5 client with an account that has all clients sorted in over 20 categories. They just disconnect and connect the clients all the time. But if i use the new 1.5 server and Neorouter 1.3 client it works well.

So something is still wrong. And when the disconnects and connects happens the cpu usage on server only shows 15-30% cpu usage but the server computer is still very unresponsive and basically almost unusable.

It must be the virtual network driver or something that makes the server so unresponsive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 am 

Hi fusion,

Thanks for your report, but we cannot reproduce your issue in our lab, where we have hundreds client nodes and more than 50 categories.

I assume your environment would be specific. Would you help collect log file of a client (nrservice) so that we can help you out?

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:31 pm 

I have also noticed that after about 8 hours or maybe less. The server which runs on 32bit windows 7 simply refuses to accept any more connections all the clients that are already connected works great but if one of them reboot and then try to connect they can't login in until server is restarted.

Maybe the error happens because there is some new code with throttling of connections that messes up the NR 1.5 server after some time. The NR 1.3 server did not have this problem it only suffered from pretty severe problems with connecting alot of clients at the same time which is ofcourse fixed now.

The error message in the network explorer is:
Signin failed because connection to server cannot be established [hr=0x80072749]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:40 pm 

Hi fusion,

You can modify Feature.ini file to disable the throttling feature by adding the following line:

Code:
[Default]
ServerAuthBacklog=256

This allow the server to accept 256 clients, basically as same as v1.3.

By default the value is 10, if you have too many clients try to connect, it may cause a client wait for a while.

Let us know if you still have the problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team