Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can't save Connection Options - Server Local Address (tab)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:46 am 

NR Client Explorer 1.5.1.2820 [1]
Win7 Pro 64-bit
router doesn't support hair-pin
non-standard external DynDNS server name and port specified on Sign In
-------------------------------
Problem: pressing Apply or OK does nothing and options dialog stays as it was until cancelled, so it's not possible to save local address.

Besides, what should be entered in the tab's Domain Name:
1). NeoRouter user domain name;
or
2). Local NR Server domain name.
If later, what should be entered if there is no AD based domain on the net, the server machine WORKGROUP?

Post subject: Re: Can't save Connection Options - Server Local Address (tab)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:54 am 

hi uio,

DomainName on the "Server Local Address" tab of the "Connection Options" dialog should be the NeoRouter domain. You cannot save may be caused by incomplete or incorrect data.

This feature does not work with non-NR domain name. The idea for Server Local Address is that NeoRouter server periodically publishes its NRDomainName and public IP address to our webservice, which is similar to other dynamic DNS service. When a client tries to connect to the NRDomain, it calls our webservice to translate that into the server's IP. But if we detect the client shares the same public IP as the server, and the client had set Server Local Address for this domain, client will connect to server using the local address instead of the public address.

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:46 am 

I tried this in both ways, i.e. entering my NRDomain name.
Actually, if I keep the local server option off (always public address), the dialog closes and asks to restart the client service (even if no changes made). I'm using either DynDNS public name or NR domain name to sign in. For switchable connections (LAN/WAN), I obviously can't use either public server nor local addresses (as I don't see any way to preserve credentials for both). Moreover, I need automatic login minimized at OS startup.
So the only real option in such case would be using NR domain to login AND providing local LAN server address in this tab. When connected to WWAN, login to NR domain works fine. But, by entering the _same_ NR domain name as the name of domain for Server Local Address, it doesn't close the settings window (checked on XP, Vista and Win7 32/64). So why is that, and, besides, why the whole Domain Name field needed at all there in the tab (if that should be the same NR domain name as in Log on to Sign In)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:38 pm 

hi uio,

The reason DomainName is in the Server Local Address dialog is because user can open this dialog before signing in. It can also be useful if user often switches between domains.
I cannot reproduce the issue in our lab. Could you send us the exact values you entered in the dialog? A screenshot will work too.

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:31 am 

Well, I can help you to reproduce this UI bug.

1. Seems it doesn't actually check the domain & server data entered on the tab - so the point about the pre-login requirement is void. Currently it actually just validates the tab fields in a WRONG way at the GUI level.
If you leave the domain name blank and let server IP 0.0.0.0 with default port it still happily closes the settings! BUT - if you dare to enter port number over 32k - it will stay forever until you cancel! Quick fix is wanted ASAP, thank you!!

2. Looks like we got inconsistency in settings paradigm - if NR domain maps a single remote external address, why one will need to map to different local LAN address - that is to have several local addresses? Or, is that one like to have single LAN server address:port combo to connect from several NR domains? In such case, mapping NR domain to a single external AND local address:port combo on a single settings tab will be much cleaner approach!
Maybe I didn't get the usage scenario you mentioned, could you elaborate, please?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:32 am 

hi uio,

1. I understand the bug now. We are incorrectly blocking ports larger than 32976. I have fixed it and will include the fix in the next release.
At the meantime, you can workaround the issue by bypassing UI and editing Feature.ini directly.
%AllUsersApplicationData%\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Feature.ini
Code:
[Default]
AltServer=DomainName,192.168.1.100:32976

2. If DomainName field is set in the Server Local Address dialog, the local address is only used if user signs into this domain. An example is that a user has two NR domains, one for work and the other for home. The home router does not support hairpin and needs to configure Server Local Address. If user connects to work domain from home, we do not want to use the configured local address because it is pointing to the home nrserver.
If DomainName field is empty, Server Local Address is used regardless the domain user currently logged in.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:10 pm 

1. Thanks for hint about ini file setting. Still no response at all on applying changes to the settings tab is GUI bug also - at least you should throw a message that user understands what's wrong.

2. And how this works if direct external address specified?
The problem with specifying NR domain name on signup page is that it doing extra lookup to NR server for an external address. Sometimes that isn't desirable. I mean there should be an option to specify a pair of server addresses/names - one external and another internal. Otherwise, how would you configure the scenario with one work server and two distinct homes' servers at different locations (both not supporting hairpin), etc.
For the ext./int. pair approach, one can choose whether local address left empty or not, as well as to choose of options to specify the pair directly or via NR domain name lookup.

Thanks!