Can't install any addon to recent Windows client
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ggallo [ Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 am ]
Post subject:  Can't install any addon to recent Windows client

I recently installed all necessary NeoRouter software (Free versions) to learn how it works. Server side went to a FreeBSD 8.2 x86 box, 2 clients on Windows 7 Home Premium x86 desktops.
Everything works as expected, server running, clients conneting, Web and Windows native Network Explorers showing clients.

My problem is, that I can't install any addon to Windows 7 client, it says "Invalid addon package". I downloaded all available addons from the website to test this, but none of them can be installed.

My problem is that I can't add UVNC Viewer/Server to Network Explorer to ease connection of remote desktops (I don't want to use Windows built-in RDP service - Home Premium not offers this).
Of course if I install UVNC viewer on my admin workstation, I can connect to any client running UVNC server with the client's NeoRouter IP, so the connection work fine. Also, from Web Network Explorer's VNC client I can connect to my UVNC server with my pre-set password.

What info do you need to investgate this problem? Or am I missed something? I can't find any info on this error with Google's search.

Installe versions: NeoRouter Client (Free, Win 7, x86), Server (Free, FreeBSD 8.2 x86)

Author:  kevinz [ Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't install any addon to recent Windows client

Hi ggallo,

Please save those addon files as *.nri file, as Win7 may change the extension to .zip automatically.

KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Author:  ggallo [ Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't install any addon to recent Windows client [SOLVED]

Hi KevinZ!

I checked, and all files have ".nri" extension, my Windows 7 not altered this on download. I read through the forum before, and I saw that Vista can alter extension by content, but on Win 7, I hadn't seen this.

In the client, in Addon install window, the file list (factory default) filtered to ".nri" files and all downloaded addons show there. So I think no extension problems here.

I also checked that the files are in good condition, with a file manager I can see the contents of the archives and I can extract all fine, without faults (just to test it). All have "Install.xml", some ".nra" and some other files, so I think, everything is in for install.

I remembered that I had an another software with an error in it: on usage, it tried to access a non-existent folder and reported a problem because this (the report not pointed to non-existent folder of course). I found the problem, created the folder, and the software started workig.
So I created the "AddOns" foldes but this trick not worked for this problem.
This led me to an another idea: I have accented characters in my donwloads folder name (I wrote this word in hungarian: "Letöltések") where I put the addon files. So I moved all of the addon ".nri" files to an another folder which name contains only english letters ("Temp").

This trick did the work, I now can install the addons!

So, there is a bug in the client software addon-installation code I think, because it can't properly read the nri files from a folder (or file) name containing non-english characters.

Author:  kevinz [ Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't install any addon to recent Windows client

Hi ggallo,

Thanks for you report. It is a bug. We will fix it in the next release.

KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group