Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NeoRouter on Intel QNAP
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:41 am 

Hi, is it possible to isntall NeoRouter on a Intel QNAP?

Someone has already done?

Post subject: Re: NeoRouter on Intel QNAP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:13 am 

Sorry for my English.
Much time had passed since the question... I know. But may be the question is still up to date.

It's possible and not very difficult.
I have QNAP TS-259 on Intel CPU.

1) Enable SSH on QNAP
2) Install "Optware IPKG package"
3) Connect to QNAP by SSH
4) Install MidnightCommander by command: ipkg install mc
4) Download NeoRouter client for Ubuntu 32-bit on computer.
5) Unpack *.deb using 7-zip for example. It will be data.tar archive.
6) Copy data.tar to Qnap in some shared folder.
7) Find data.tar in Shared folder in /Share
9) Enter in data.tar using mc (or just untar it)
10) You will see /etc and /usr folders.. Files from them should be coped to the same folders of Qnap.
11) Enable tun-interface by command: insmod /usr/local/modules/tun.ko
12) Run neo-service by command: /usr/bin/nrservice &
13) Run command to setup neo: nrcliencmd

The start-stop script "nrservice.sh" does not work and should be rewritten and I will do it if the question is still up to date.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 am 

I was able to create a .qpkg package which allows running on the platform

Happy man now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm 

Sorry to bring back a zombie thread.

I have recently acquired a QNAP system.

I replicated parts of lionarts steps and successfully activated nrclientcmd, joining the system to my Neorouter network. The startup script will not run as is. It depends on Debian packages, which the native QTS lacks out of the box. I suspect modifying it to link to Optware startup files may work.

However, there are several issues with using this setup. Key ones include: 1) Optware is no longer officially supported (had to find an unofficial package through QNAPClub), 2) prior QNAP firmware updates broke Optware startup and require manually restoring that setup.

3) Worse, this setup is not permanent. All Neorouter files get wiped on a system reboot, leading me to suspect the QNAP system is loading QTS through a RAMDisk configuration.

One alternative I've seen is to use Linux Station. Does anyone have experience with how well the QNAP system is integrated with it? In other words, can I access the QNAP web portal using Neorouter installed on a Linux station?

I see that internetxs claims to have built a Neorouter QPKG, which is the likely more permanent solution. I am pretty sure I'm not the only one interested in such a package.

If anyone can guide me on making one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:49 pm 

I was successful in integrating NeoRouter into my QNAP server, using an Optware package from the Qnapclub Store.

Learned the hard way that scripts saved in DOS format do not equate with UNIX format, which leads to all sorts of line feed mishaps.

Solved Issue #1: Recreating the NeoRouter installation on boot.

The NeoRouter files were stored on the main drive system. I adapted QNAP's autorun.sh to create symbolic links in the OS to appropriate locations to the NeoRouter files (QNAP wipes out the OS on every boot. So, this step was necessary). This included the location for the Unix configuration files. Otherwise, it'll get erased on each boot.

Solved Issue #2: Adapting the start script nrservice.sh.

Linux standard base is not available in QNAP. So, references to the /lib/lsb/init-functions by the original script would not work.

I converted the nrservice.sh into a more general form using /bin/busybox for the start-stop-daemon command, and symlinked it as an rc.unslung script under the Optware /opt/etc/init.d/ directory (starting with S* name, so that it recognizes it). I converted the log commands to echo commands that would output to a log file.

Why not slot the script straight into autorun.sh? Well, the NeoRouter files depend on Optware to run. By linking it as a startup script with Optware, Optware will always start first and then launch nrservice.sh.

Hope this helps someone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:28 pm 

I tested NR client on a Yosemite beta 5 (fresh installation) and it works well. The tun tap driver works without any problem.